• Register Today It's free!

Mystery shudder solved...

Joe in NY

Reaction score
City, State
Binghamton, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Eddie Bauer V8 4X4
So I have only had my explorer for a month. Its an early build (02/02) Eddie Bauer V8 4x4.

I did all of the maintenance, as in, all fluid filters and all fluids. I also had to replace the 4x4 control module ($200 from ford) and the shift motor ($150 from advance). After all of that my 4x4 worked as it should. Everything was great except for turning. Whenever I turned, especially low speed turns, the whole car would shudder. I used Mobil 1 every where except for the tranny and t-case. The Mobil 1 said Limited Slip Diffs, so I thought the friction modifier was already in place, therefore I did NOT add the Ford Friction Modifier. In hope to fix the shudder I drain 4 ounces of Mobil 1 out and added the modifier. This helped some but not cure it.

When I had the scanner hooked up for testing the CM I noticed that the new one always had the front 4x4 clutch engaged at-least 10%, and when 4x4 hi was selected only 90%... So yesterday I tore apart part of the dash and passenger side door sill and kick plate. I hooked a volt meter up and discovered that the CM was always applying 1.1+ volts to the front clutch. And in 4x4 HI almost 2.5 volts. So I did the BWM with a SPST NC relay. This way if something goes wrong it will be its normal self.

After doing the BWM I cruised around in 2WD and absolutely no shudder at all. The CM for some reason constantly applied voltage to the 4x4 clutch and was causing my drive-train to bind up.

Sorry for the long post, but if any of you guys have a shudder on turning look into the BWM before something breaks. I have a feeling the the 4x4 clutch would wear out before something broke but I am new to 2002 Ford Explorers.

Now onto replacing the A/C compressor manifold assembly, yay...

check your tires for uneven wear man, mine was doing this a long time ago untill i replaced the original tires.

Back