Naches area July '05 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Naches area July '05

Albino 94LTD said:
There is only one way that I know of to gain knowledge of the trail system and you seem to do a lot of it solo. Don't get me wrong, I'm not picking on you, I wouldn't do what you do, alone. I'm too afraid of getting in over my head.

Hey that's what all of my friends and family tell me too. I think they are more concerned about the 150+ miles of foot travel (mostly alone) I do in the upper reaches of the cascades every year, but both are valid points. Sadly, I still don't listen very well. when something does happen I have always got myself out and am never unprepared. Yes I have had to test my single handed abilities with both injuries and vehicle mishaps. Even if I have to spend a week hiking out or laying around, It's cool I've got the gear with me, and I can survive. Now just so I don't receive a serious injury. But if I do so be it there's worse and more ways to pass in the cities :rolleyes:

No, I take no offense and totally agree about my need of others with me, it's just there is usually no one to go with, and I won't let that change my plans.

As to the Trail Jam.....well, why does it not interest me. First there's the crowds. Can't stand large groups. Secondly I am not comfortable wheeling in that setting, with a bunch of people I do not know. I feel like I know enough to judge the personalities of the people I associate with on this board, regardless if I have met you or not. In many cases I have read hundreds of your posts and have a good idea of what to expect from you. Lastly to be perfectly honest, the whole wheeling thing as a recreational sport is not really an interest of mine. I like to explore and fish, hence I am building an Explorer (plus I'm a car nut). Events like this are centered around the recreational sport of wheeling, promotional activities, media attention, etc... and attract a large following.

When I did Tahuya with you guys I admit I had a blast, but the reason I went was that I got to see new country, and more importantly test the limits of my relatively stock vehicle with other people. That way I knew my limits for when I was alone (though I have added to the list :rolleyes: ) Naches sounded fun for it gave me an opportunity to go camping with a great group of people, It allows me to explore a part of the state I have not explored, and lastly it offered an opportunity to test out the as of yet unstarted winter projects.

I agree that the only way to learn an area is to go and do it. Preferably with a guide, but this is not always feasible. I have explored damn near every road that my vehicle can go down in the Verlot, Darrington, Skykomish, and Baker ranger districts in the last couple years. It makes me laugh to find write ups on some of these "trails" by NW 4x4 clubs, after all I rarely find a road as bad as any we hunted in Idaho in my dad's 70s 2wd Ford. I have explored some of Snoqualmie, but as previously mentioned I do not like crowds and that is a very overrun area.

All this territory has been explored by use of Brycelee's trail rating system. If it's on the usgs quad map and is designated as driveable that doesn't necessarily mean it is even in existence anymore. So... I carry a ton of gear and maps. When I find a new road I park off to the side and grab my pack. I will usually hike a mile or so of road, then go get the truck if conditions are acceptable. I pretty well know the limits of my rig, so the criteria are: There are no obstacles which are likely to severely damage the undercarriage, There are no mud holes to deep or goey for me to drive through, and lastly there are no trees that are going to crush sheet metal if I am careful. Oh yeah one more, there is nothing I have to go down that I can't get back up (what a long evening that was). Yeah I get in to bad places sometimes as roads peter to nothing, but If I do get stranded I still have that pack, a radio, and a cell phone.

As to Naches, I think I will be stopping by REI for detailed quad maps of the area, as well as ordering the map from the Cle Ellum ranger districts ORV page. This summer perhaps I will learn the Naches Trails. After all there are several lakes in there, and I am interested in checking out what used to be an old wagon route. Perhaps I'll get a buddy's 4-runner in shape to follow me, or if all else fails I'll drop in off the Pacific Crest Hiking Trail as it intersects the Naches 4x4 trail.

Of course you may all still convince me to go (even without trying) It just sounds like a big crowded event, and hell I run for the deep woods if I see a half dozen car loads of people coming my way.

Sorry I was so long winded, but I figured I should explain myself a bit after the brevity of my last post.

Albino 94LTD said:
There seems to be a lot of varied opportunity for all types of wheeling in that area. that would be a wonderful place for an annual NWX gathering.

Now that I am off my anti social rant, I have to say that I would love to see a get together of this type. Given it may push the limits of my crowd skills ;) But I would gladly come out for that event, and enjoy it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This could still happen but at the end of Aug or early Sept, I will attend the trail jam and get familar with the trails and then we could have a explorer/bronco2/ranger thing happen, I have found myself over on the broncoii.org site more so than the explorer forum.

i'm in, my project is on track to finish end of March

bmotoX said:
i'm in, my project is on track to finish end of March
How is your project going? have you got your arms figured out, if you don't I have a fairly easy and cheap solution :thumbsup:

yes I did, The front is all set up execpt trac bar and steering i'm having trouble finding tube around Tacoma. I'm kind of interested to hear that solution. Oh yeah i got drunk and cut the top off with an angle grinder.

p.s how did that front kit work for you pics look good.

bmotoX said:
yes I did, The front is all set up execpt trac bar and steering i'm having trouble finding tube around Tacoma. I'm kind of interested to hear that solution. Oh yeah i got drunk and cut the top off with an angle grinder.

p.s how did that front kit work for you pics look good.

The radius arms and drop brackets from a 78-79 from what I have read are almost a bolt on. link also in that link there is info on your trac bar

In this link I have pics of my most current upgrades, I have made a few small modifications to the passenger side bracket, the redesigned skyjacker bracket has held up very well. And for everone FYI James Duff is making a larger lift it should be out after the new year and is about ~5" and has 15" of travel with their new arms.

There is a run being planned to elbe hills jan 2 or 3

If registration cost $100, I don't think I will go.

The registration form is not linked to on their site yet, but I found it there anyway ;)

hmm I can't seem to create a link to it. Every time I try I lose my access.......... seems they really don't want me to be in here :D

Saved to the hard drive though, so I'll figure out how to get the registration form on here later.

Here's the gist of it though.

$100 for driver and 1 passenger
$30 additional passenger 16 and up
$20 additional passenger 11-15
under 11 free
$15 Non-participating guests (people hanging out at the booths)

Kinda dissapointing considering that I had almost convinced myself to go.

Well, even though it's $100, it's still a pretty fair deal in my book.

If I knew there would be another X there, I'd definetly go. Without you guys there, I have to think about it a little longer, but I'm still wanting to take Travis and give mom a couple day break.

$100 isn't even half of a flyfishing float trip and that only lasts 1 day. :D

LOL you crack me up Albino (your avatar caption), but I do usually need a co-pilot with a good set of eyes on that passenger fender.

I was thinking that it might not be too bad to go on the stocker runs the first day and see how frisky I feel on day 2...if I was camped far enough away from the crowds at the Trail Jam that is...........but a 130 for registration, plus 50-100 for gas, plus 40 campground fees, or the flip side of that being 40 for extra supplies to rough camp, plus back up repair money. That's quite a chunk of change for a social services manager to spend on one weekends entertainment. Well I guess it's not that much, but more than a week of wilderness camping and fishing :D .
Perhaps the money would be better spent on shocks since they are truly dead, and we should go back to organizing our own little run up there.

JR... you seem to spend a bit of time on the BII forum, are there any others there that know the area and might want to join us and maybe a couple people to guide a group of stocker/no damage folks :cool: ..and a group of you crazier folk :eek: I don't think I (the truck) will feel ready by the Tillamook forest run in Feb..

A second thought for getting Travis out for the weekend, Albino, would be to camp up in the Skykomish/Stevens area. Maybe spend a day at Reiter with Snow if she would be a willing guide, and a day fishing in the area (Trout Lake or the Foss Lakes)????

Or maybe both ideas :rolleyes: The lower elevations in May or June and the higher in August or Sept.??

Just fishin' for ideas that don't cost to much (I'm facing $2100 for gears and an electric rear locker in the sorta near future)

I haven't posted the trail jam up on the b2 forum yet.??
I am helping a friend right now doing a SOA on his YJ, once he gets that done I am sure by mid summer I should have explorerd a few of trails in the naches area, so maybe we can still get a group of know people together do a little run?
Some other local stuff/runs for the future
25 jun 05 4th annual faithwheelers Obstacle course (near eatonville)
? Aug 05 Vancouver (BC) island run, by broncoii.org as seen in this months issue of brocodriver magizine) i am assuming this is going to happen again

Now you have me re-thinking this

I figured that camp fees were included but I don't see anywhere on that site to confirm one way or the other. I need to re-read everything on the Trail Jammin site again.

Certainly a smaller group would be more enjoyable, especially if it were all Fords.

I was starting to consider a little body lift before then, Maybe that's a better plan for a couple hundred clams? (if I only knew someone that had done a BL before :rolleyes: )

Albino 94LTD said:
I was starting to consider a little body lift before then, Maybe that's a better plan for a couple hundred clams? (if I only knew someone that had done a BL before :rolleyes: )

Since you have that lovely gen 1 X Albino, You should skip the Body Lift and add a suspension kit. There are so many available for your rig, and they really are not that expensive. Of course, I would help to do a BL on your truck. It should be a lot easier than mine was as they actually make a kit for you rather than having to modify a ranger kit. I HATE BUMPERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wish I could have afforded the Superlift, but Les Schwabb quoted me 3200 dollars.....plus tires.......plus gears......brake lines.......etc...

P.S. If you keep hitting the link to the registration on the trail jam site the form will eventually open due to a glitch in their system. Or right click go to properties and alter the wording a little.

Albino 94LTD This summer james duff will have their new ~5" lift out ;)
they are getting 15" of travel with it, just what you need for the mall parking lot :D Actual the 2.5" stage 2 kit would look nice on your rig.
I am pretty sure I am going to be buying a friends f150 from him and then I will have a D44 for the front and 9 in the rear so I may be having a lot of 1st gen suspension stuff for sale.

Sheeze

:(

Joe, I was afraid you were going to have a solution for me. :rolleyes:

Actually, I was going to E Mail you about you opinions on suspension lifts after Bryce suggested it. 2.5" sounds nice.

I'm sure my wife will kill the idea, she's getting pretty tired of that 1960 kitchen :fire:

I'm not much for organized runs, especially if i have to pay to join a group. Had too many in the past go to hell, and then i'm out the cash. If we want an organized run, lets do one with the explorer board, free of charge (unless you just have to pay, in that case, you can give me your hard earned money). Between all of us, we know of some good trails that we can lead the others on. I dont always have to do harder rated trails that stockers cant make, i like just taking and exploring the service roads.
How about meeting for a bbq one weekend? I can hold one at my parents place in Woodinville...check out everyone else's rigs, meet everyone, i've even got an rti ramp we can break out.

If I have my garage built by the time you get ready to put a BL or SL on I could give you a hand. I can rip apart the front or rear suspension and get it back together in no time now.
If you get a SL get either James Duff or Skyjacker

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I forgot to mention, i've got a shop w/ a hoist at home, shouldnt take more than a couple hours to install the body lift....

Back