• Register Today It's free!

Name this part..

Cory96XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Zanesville, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT
So when i was under my truck the other day looking at the exhaust trying to decide what type of exhaust i want to run (i need one, bad), i noticed this part was pretty well rusted through. Both driver and passenger side look pretty much like this, but these pics are on the passenger side. THe problem is, i have no clue what the parts name is. TO make things worse, i live in italy so the mechanics around here don't know american cars that well, and there aren't any ford dealers around either. And to top it all off, once i do find what the part is called, i can't run out to a junkyard to get it either. So, can anyone help me with what this part is and where i can find a new one? Thanks.

From the outside looking in..
rust1.jpg

Inside looking out..
rust2.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Leaf spring shackles, I wouldnt drive with them rusted like that.
I'd get some new ones asap.

Leaf spring shackles, I wouldnt drive with them rusted like that.
I'd get some new ones asap.

x2 if you looking for a little lift while your at it i would sudjest the warrior shackles(1.5" lift) part # war-153.

Wow. You have one heck of a job in front of you. You might want to plan on replacing everything there...including the springs, u-bolts, etc. I'm not sure you can separate everything. Maybe. If you can do without the vehicle, see if you can satisfactorily disassemble it before you order parts.

Let me know what penetrating oil you are going to use so I can go buy stock in the company! :D

Auto Zone or Pep Boys has cheapo universal shackles for about $20. Search the forum for the DIY "How-To" threads. You can replace those in your driveway with hand tools and a bit of muscle. Like Cobra said, use LOTS of penetrating lube on that rust!

Auto Zone or Pep Boys has cheapo universal shackles for about $20. Search the forum for the DIY "How-To" threads. You can replace those in your driveway with hand tools and a bit of muscle. Like Cobra said, use LOTS of penetrating lube on that rust!

x2 start w/ the pb blaster NOW and don't stop...

yeah the rust is incredible isnt it? lol. It sucks too because its a pain in the ass to get parts (leaf springs, for instance) shipped overseas and theres no place to get it around here. Anyway, i was thinking about going with the war153's, if i did that what would you suggest throwing on the front end to level it out?

the front suspersion is torsion bar do a serch in the forum for torsion twist and there is a complete thread of how to do it

ps: you will need an alignment when you are all finished.

I don't know if I'd mess w/ a t bar crank with all of that rust. If you do I'd be cautious of ball joints and control arms first. Inspect all of that before adding stress.

Back