• Register Today It's free!

Napa shocks for rwd ATTN:Rebel

Markaprice73

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Sport Trac XLT (RWD)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They look extremely similar even in the stock photos. And from the description they sound the same. But I'll definitely let rebel chime in on this to be sure.

Thanks Runner. Yes anyone please chime in. I didnt mean to just address Mr.Midnight. I'm sure they are good either way. I just want to know if I would be correct in my own head that Im going to be running sensitracs(sort of). Im sure these will be good. I love a good deal. I buy maltomeal tootie fruities instead of froot loops. Same thing(sort of) but cheaper:) know what I mean

I remember someone on here (pretty sure it was Rebel) said they were the same... just a different name

Yep, I've been told by JohnnyO and others that these are the same shocks, just painted.

woohoo! Memory served

A quick internet search turned up a competing story. These could be monro-matics and not sensa-tracs. If possible, check out the shock at your NAPA store and see what number is stamped in the body of the shock. If the stamped number starts 32XXX it's a monro-matic. If it starts 37XXX it's a sensa-trac.

A quick internet search turned up a competing story. These could be monro-matics and not sensa-tracs. If possible, check out the shock at your NAPA store and see what number is stamped in the body of the shock. If the stamped number starts 32XXX it's a monro-matic. If it starts 37XXX it's a sensa-trac.

Correct. NAPA shows the rebranded SensaTrac as NS 37177.
Big price difference. I'm having a problem linking it. Check site.

Thanks Guys. I got the fronts yesterday. I will check the numbers when I get home tonight. I do have a concern however..One shock I believe is 2 yrs old and one is a year old. Should this be a concern??? I may take them back if it is a concern. I didn't notice the manufacture date until I got home. Also there are two different #'s on the shock its-self. the first ones matched with eachother but the second ones did not???? Napa is an hour from my home. But I already kinda screwed up. I took them both out of the package before I noticed the dates. So I dont know witch is witch. Boxes where the same. 1 was a little lighter blue than the other. Probably no big deal. Oh, these were there last set of fronts too. The last set of rear ones they brought out. One had a woman's hair tie in the box.wtf? and the other one had a clothes hanger keeping it compressed WTF?? The owner did apologize and said he was embarrassed. Told him no big deal but I wont be buying the rears today. SO.. I'll get back with you all tonight.(PICS) Hopefully someone can help me with the date thing and the second number thing. Thanks

Darn it. These are the 32346's. I guess the monroe-matic's. Like the 1aauto ones. I checked the Napa site again. The Sensa-trac ones are BLACK. These didnt come up before as I searched napa response the first time. But I was just going with yhe idea that the blue ones were sensa. Anyway these are more in my budget. I would like to give em a try. But the manufacture date is still an issue? and they both have 32346 stamped on then but the 2nd #'s are different. Any guesses?
ATTACH]

ATTACH]

ATTACH]

Went with my gut and returned those(one had damage upon closer insp). Went to Orielys(were I always go) got all 4 Monroe brand Monroe-Matics. All matching #'s, unopened, and in perfect condition boxes. Same price. Out the door $115. I am concered though for the customer that goes to a shop and the part delievery guy picks these last 4 shocks up and MAYBE a mechanic installs them. Just saying. Glad I'm doing this myself! I do realize these are not "great" shocks. But I'm running the original ones from 03.(well no really running..they are dead) Kids have been getting car sick for years and this will greatly improve the life of my new tires. Got the fronts on. WOW! is all I have to say at this point.

I'm sure they will be a dramatic improvement over the "dead" OEM's you are used to.
The drivers rear can be a PITA due to limited access. Remove the spare tire and loosen
the black charcoal canister to reach the difficult bolts. A 13mm swiveling ratchet wrench
makes this job easy. Make sure all the hoses are reinstalled correctly.Take your time. GL

Thanks for the tips sws! I was just under there spraying some PB Blaster thinking "how in the hell am I going to get that drivers side rear bolt out" :) I will probably hold off on doing the rears for a bit. My wrists are killing me from wrenchin with a standard 13mm wrench just to start the bottom bolts on the bottom of the front shocks. As my short socket wrench couldnt reach because of the bolt length. I'll go to the store and see if they have a swivel rachet one. Whats the canister for? ..btw..I always appreciate you taking the time to post your helpful responses, sharing your knowledge, AND you seem to always have the links to boot. I'm sure everyone does! So, thank you. This site is amazing! Thanks to all the guys and gals on here.

Coulnt resist. I got them all on now. Rides GREAT! Could def see how folks would want to upgrade though. There's always next time. Yes, pulled down the canister (didnt look like I imagined) just enough to get my hands up there. Went to put it back up and I did notice one of the hoses came off. There is alot of them. Thanks again to sws or I probably wouldn't have noticed. I recommend ANY shocks to those out there that havent done this. OH..and I took some 55mph curves and didnt have to tighten my stomach muscles just to stay seated upright like usual:thumbsup:

!!!!!QUESTION: Is there a "break in" period? My front drivers side is 3/4 inch lower than the right and rear drivers side is 1/2 in lower than passenger side. Is this normal for a bit? I drove it about 20 min or so. I sharpie lined where the shocks sit now. I will check agian after driving to work and back tomorrow. I measued from the ground(truck on level ground) up past the center wheel cap to the fenders. I can def tell sitting in drivers seat that Im lower than the passenger seat.

btw. I truck is empty. I weight 170lbs. Tires are new and inflated properly.

All the explorers have that lean. The gas tank battery and driver are all on that side and over time it just leans more. Nothing to really be concerned about. After doing my torsion twist and shackle lift I'm looking at about the same differences as you.

oh man!!! Brilliant! didnt think of those things. I have a FULL tank of gas as well. Duh. Sometimes the simple answer is just sitting right there. Thanks for putting my mind at ease Runner. Probably was always like that. I just never noticed. Well, mission accomplished then! On to the next!

Glad to help! Although it's all knowledge I've gained hangin around here haha. Glad to hear another project was successful!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Need to give you credit. Many pros despise changing that drivers rear shock.
The lean is very normal, you would have a "freak" if it were perfectly level. LOL
Front torsion bolt adjustments can be made to level it, but front wheel alignment
is usually required when you turn them. Good job and well done saving $. Enjoy! :thumbsup:

Back