• Register Today It's free!

nasty sharp clunk

DDEBEXP

Reaction score
City, State
Duncanville, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 4x4 Eddie Bauer
I get this awful clunk when i make a U turn. This only happens when the wheel is at the lock position (turned all the way). I only hear it from the drivers side. Any Ideas? I looked down there and nothing "looked" out of the ordinary. I even checked the lugs to make sure they weren't loose as it sounds like something is loose perhaps and somehow jumped a thread on a bolt. Any suggestions? I haven't had time to go to the dealer yet. Thanks

This is usuauly the upper shock mounts shifting a bit with a sharp u-turn and the frame twists or it can be a torsion bar, nothing out the ordinary and as long as it's not a daily event there's nothing to worry about, Max

cool, i am moving so i shouldn't have to make anymore sharp turns just to park. I am thinking about upgrading the bushings down there anyways, perhaps i can check it out then. Thanks for the reply.

It could be a CV shaft that's starting to go. When/If you start hearing 'clunk' sounds while driving in a straight line, you might want to investigate this.

Back