• Register Today It's free!

National Lampoons Mt. Rushmore

TXFordMan

Reaction score
City, State
Texas Panhandle
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited
Just completed a 1,930 mile week long vacation with the wife and 2 daughters (7&10). Never been to Mt. Rushmore and it was really cool. Anyone who has not been there should make the time. On to the important part...
the Explorer.

About 8 hours into our drive, I thought when I got home I would make a thread about my fabulous Ex and how awesome it was on this adventure;). It was very comfortable and easy driving. The navigation worked good using voice or the touchscreen, although some roads were quite out of date. Tracked each tank of gas. Best tank got 25.4 mpg, worst was 20.7. Entire trip got 23.1 mpg. The avg. mpg calculation on the screen usually showed less than actual by about 1 mpg. But then...

one of my many times waiting on my 3 girls to get to the car, I looked at the MFT screen and saw what looked like a crack. Very light crack that went from one side across the middle of the screen to the other side and circled back. The sun had to be shining just right to see the crack.:(

The next day, I tried to type in an address for the nav on the screen. I pushed "D" and it gave me "G". Everything I typed went in wrong:mad:. Using voice command, I could get my destination set, but she would take us the looong looong route everywhere we went. With each day, more and more cracks could be seen and the touchscreen worked worse and worse.:splat:

Very disappointed as my MFT has worked good other than minor problems when pairing Iphones. Went to my dealer as soon as I got back to town and they have ordered me a new screen.

I think I have uncovered yet another issue with MFT. Don't remember anyone mentioning a cracked glass on the screen.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Was it super HOT? Perhaps cracks from exposure to heat. Either way...not good.

Temperature was mid 80's. When I first noticed the crack, I had just left a diner. We had left the moon roof shade open (moon roof closed) and the sun was shining in on it and I saw the crack. Surely the sun shining in on it isn't enough to crack the glass, is it?

Well it isn't glass, its just plastic using a resistive touch screen (why force is needed on the screen instead of something like an iPhone which is capacitive).

Because it is plastic that has to be pushed on, I would say it is possible someone has been pushing too hard on the screen consistently enough to cause wear and cracking over time. Especially given the location that you describe the crack running since that would be along some of its weakest points. Heat wouldn't really cause a cracking effect like that in a touchscreen from any that I have seen, it usually requires force. The temperatures these screens can take is pretty crazy in most applications (Again I don't know the details on the screen for the MFT, but given that it is an automotive grade screen, it has to take some heat).

I am sure you will believe that you never pushed it that hard, and that very well may be the case, I am not blaming anyone especially without any proof at all. It is just what has been, in my experience, the cause of most cracks in these types of screens and it doesn't take too long for them to start showing up under enough force. If you have kids who may have played with it from time to time or something it may be worth making sure they don't mess with it too much. Most kids will kill those types of screens since they don't know the strength required, they just throw their hand into it.

Or it could just be a defective screen. Defective parts happen all the time.

Thats something new for the EX: my experience, in aircraft avionics touch screens is similar, overtime usage produces hairline fractures, but the system module would not be affected in its operation. Resistive use screens (made of plastic) being used may vary by manufactures, its worth noting here, keep us posted.

Thanks for clearing up the screen material for me. You're right that I don't really feel like I pushed the screen too hard. Crap, my wife and kids are afraid to get in the Ex for fear of doing something wrong and me yelling at them:D. I guess it's possible that I was too rough on it, but if I was, I'm sure this is going to start happening to others unless it was just a defective part. Taking it in Monday for a new screen...

I can't imagine anyone being frustrated with MFT and maybe pushing on the "button" a wee bit harder the fifth time. Personally, I just verbally abuse Mrs. MFT when she offers help rather than doing what I asked.

Mrs. MFT ( ours is named Veronica) gets verbally abused on a regular basis. I think she needs a pair of hearing aids :>) .

Mrs. MFT ( ours is named Veronica) gets verbally abused on a regular basis. I think she needs a pair of hearing aids :>) .

:). Has anyone else named their MFT? We named ours Gypsy while on vacation.

MFT Name

I call it my POS. ;)

Love the ride and quietness of the vehicle. Hate the MFT. I have to take my eyes off the road to do anything- change from FM to Sirius, change the climate, etc. The lack of actual buttons makes it so you can't make any adjustments without looking.

Grrrrrr....

I call it my POS. ;)

Love the ride and quietness of the vehicle. Hate the MFT. I have to take my eyes off the road to do anything- change from FM to Sirius, change the climate, etc. The lack of actual buttons makes it so you can't make any adjustments without looking.

Grrrrrr....

Talk to her! You can do all that with your voice.. Only my dh can't he speaks southern and MFT doesn't recognize southern.. ;)

I call it my POS. ;)

That's funny. That is one of the names mine was given when the kids weren't around. When they are, her name is Gertrude Pearl Smith.

Got my new touchscreen installed today. Plan on being veerrryy gennntle from here on.

The dealer said they updated to v2.11. Syncmyride.com still shows 2.8. Anybody know how long that takes to update? So far, if this is 2.11, not much difference. Maybe a little bit faster response but mine worked fairly well before.

You think the MFT would recogize italian with a slant to it?, I will have to think of name. I use to call my Tom Tom the dum:thumbsup:b dumb, who knows.

The same thing has happened to our explorer! 5 weeks old 4,000 miles and just noticed a crack in the screen.

The same thing has happened to our explorer! 5 weeks old 4,000 miles and just noticed a crack in the screen.

Is the crack causing MFT to go haywire? I noticed it especially with navigation inputs.
This makes two of us with this issue, I'm really surprised we haven't had more yet.

Some functions would not operate and the others would but have to push to the right of the actual spot of the function. So yes on the haywire. And before we noticed the crack it was working perfect.

The dealer said they updated to v2.11. Syncmyride.com still shows 2.8. Anybody know how long that takes to update? So far, if this is 2.11, not much difference. Maybe a little bit faster response but mine worked fairly well before.

The install will show up as soon as your dealership reports the install back to us. You should have seen 2.11 on SYNCMyRide.com when you picked up your X. If you still see 2.8, call your dealership and tell them they need to report the install or install 2.11 again. If everything is working fine right now, there is no need to go get 2.11.

Rebecca

The install will show up as soon as your dealership reports the install back to us. You should have seen 2.11 on SYNCMyRide.com when you picked up your X. If you still see 2.8, call your dealership and tell them they need to report the install or install 2.11 again. If everything is working fine right now, there is no need to go get 2.11.

Rebecca

Syncmyride.com still shows I have 2.8. Guess they didn't get it installed right at my dealership here in podunk. My MFT is working fine so I won't worry about 2.11. Thanks Rebecca

Try putting a Nushield protective film cover over the screen. Not only does it protect the screen but its anti glare qualities make it easier to read in the daytime. I had it on from day one April 5, 2011 with no ill effects and its easier to clean the finger smugges off. It cost 17.00 + 2.99 for some extra wipes money well spent. Check it out at Newshield.com

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back