Nav/radio/touchscreen issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Nav/radio/touchscreen issues

Michael W

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
18 Explorer Platinum
My 2018 Platinum nav/touchscreen is having an issue. It is out of warranty. The GPS sometimes works right after the vehicle starts and then gets lost. The touchscreen and volume knob work but usually with a lag. The Sirius radio station change sometimes take 15 or more seconds.

How can I diagnose this problem without shelling out 500 or more to Ford only to tell me it's a 2500-4000 fix?

I do have access to an OBD II.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like typical sign of the APIM going bad.

The OBD II 2 doesn't show it as bad......I'll hook it up next week and check what forscan says again.

The OBD II 2 doesn't show it as bad......I'll hook it up next week and check what forscan says again.

Not sure what you mean by that...there isn't a code for APIM is bad.

The APIM showed some codes for the seat but nothing for the radio or sat/nav

and it will never show codes for being slow, etc. there is a entire special OASIS/IDS process for testing suspected bad APIMs.

I updated to Sync 3.4 and the problem went away.

I updated to Sync 3.4 and the problem went away.
Same here. Nav has been flaky for the last two months. It rarely works for more than two minutes; Ipod was no longer recognized; and android auto was unreliable. On top of all of that, everything ran really slow. Upgraded to 3.4 today, and everything is working beautifully.

Back