Touchscreen is black | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Update on my touchscreen. So I finally took my Explorer to the dealer yesterday to have them troubleshoot. It wasn't working when I dropped it off, which was good because they got to see that it really didn't work. They were unable to determine any root cause for the failure. Apparently there's some sort of tech hotline that they were waiting to get a call from, but that hadn't happened by the time I needed to get the car back. They are going to follow up with Ford (the dealership was very helpful by the way, and even got me Lyft rides both ways), but it really needs to get fixed. If the rear camera bug is a big enough safety issue to do a recall on, then perhaps the touchscreen not working is just as big a safety issue since clearly no touchscreen = no rear camera view.

The rear camera issue was not a Recall but a Special Service Message (SSM 49032) which is like a TSB.

Peter

With kudos to the team at Colonial Ford in Marlborough, MA, my touchscreen is now fixed. Apparently there was an issue with a connecting cable and the way it was routed, which they replaced and the problem seems to be resolved. There were several steps of interaction between the dealership and Ford, but Colonial provided excellent service and got it taken care of (I bought the vehicle there).

I have a 2019 XLT 3.2 Diesel Ranger and it is amazing how my black screen issue resembles this case! I have also noticed the unexplainable and random appearance of the problem. Precisely today, when this happened for the first time, is also a rainy cold day. Have you found any permanent solution?

I have a 2019 XLT 3.2 Diesel Ranger and it is amazing how my black screen issue resembles this case! I have also noticed the unexplainable and random appearance of the problem. Precisely today, when this happened for the first time, is also a rainy cold day. Have you found any permanent solution?
Welcome to the Forum Daniel.:wave:
You may also want to post that in the Ranger forum to see if other s have experienced it as well.

Peter

Installed the 20136 update on Monday via the flash drive> USB port method. Worked great and took 20 minutes or so. No issues with the touchscreen Monday or Tuesday. Today, Wednesday, started up the vehicle mid-day, and got the black screen again. The reboot method worked as before. Coincidentally or not, Mon and Tues were dry days here in Massachusetts, while today was damp and rainy again. Still wondering if ambient moisture is somehow a factor. Tomorrow may still be a little damp, but Friday-Tues are predicted to be sunny, so we'll see if it happens again.

Thank goodness for the reboot functionality. This would be intolerable without that feature.
Last Sunday mine went completely black. No audio, no startup no nothing. Toolkit to the dealer, they have to order a new APIM. currently on back order. Supposed to be taking a road trip for the holidays. This is going to suck balls big time. Lol

We drove the ST to my mom's place in Phoenix today. It's about an hour drive and there were no issues on the way there.

After starting the car to leave the main display screen would not turn on. I turned off the ignition. Waited a bit and retried. It did not help. On the way home I turned the car off at stoplights several times hoping to get the main screen back. Nothing helped. The screen stayed black all the way home. Of course that also meant no stereo, navigation, voice commands etc. Might as well have driven my '60 Dodge out there, at least it would have had a functioning radio. ;)

When I got home I checked the manual to see if I could find a fuse for the display. I did not find anything specific, but there were a couple fuses which I thought may be related. I checked them and they were fine.

Next I disconnected the battery, just like they had to do with the MFT in the 5th gens. The vehicle rebooted it's systems and voila' the screen was back. Now I have to carry a 10mm wrench in the glove box in case this happens again. :( I hope it's not a sign of things to come.

Last Sunday mine went completely black. No audio, no startup no nothing. Toolkit to the dealer, they have to order a new APIM. currently on back order. Supposed to be taking a road trip for the holidays. This is going to suck balls big time. Lol

Did you try disconnecting the battery and rebooting?

Back