Navigation dvd | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Navigation dvd

B

bgclight

Anyone have any problems with the Navteq update 9P. Every time there has been a new version I have updated. My 2008 came with 6P and I have purchased 7P and 8P, both of which worked great.

Twice now my 9P has given me bad directions and even ran me around in a circle one night. I was in Lynchburg, VA where 8P had worked great and 9P would not even recognize the address!

I am in communication with Navteq to see if they will give me a new disk. They had originally told me to go to my dealer. I did and my dealer said to go to Navteq.

Strangely enough I have a Garmin in my Baja which has Navteq software in it and it works great.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

reinstalled

I reseated the dvd today and took the car to my dealer. They checked it and found nothing wrong with the GPS.

Interesting that there is no test beyond driving the vehicle! Dealer does not have the ability to check the dvd.

I ran a couple of test scenarios myself and the disk seems to be working O.K. When I had the disk out I inspected for any visble fingerprints, etc. and there were none. I am pretty careful with things like that.

Navteq will not help you beyond 30 days in any way.

TIME WILL TELL! Happy days. :)

newest update

I have an 07 Explorer EB with the factory nav running version 8P, anyone know if there is a newer update and if so where to buy it besides the dealer???

I just received an "Official Notification" from Ford and/or Navteq which offered me the latest "2013" map update for my 2009 Explorer. I'm not sure which version it is offering me, but the deal here is $199 for the dvd, and free shipping.

My original dvd from 2009 which came with the car hasn't let me down yet. Can anyone give me a good reason why I should shell out $199 for this update?

I have an 07 Explorer EB with the factory nav running version 8P, anyone know if there is a newer update and if so where to buy it besides the dealer???

Hey, mackenziet!

Looks like 11P is the latest version:

http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/IN...ES&CatalogCategoryID=zv8KCghBpnYAAAE1YpVvy4ll

My original dvd from 2009 which came with the car hasn't let me down yet. Can anyone give me a good reason why I should shell out $199 for this update?

Hi, jsakabuck!

If all of your destinations are there and you're satisfied with the current DVD, there's no need to update. :)

Rebecca

How to confirm how old or how many versions behind this NAV and or other software is. Reading the information screen shows Ver 1.0x but not a date etc

This is a new to us 2009 Explorer LTD AWD so we're on a major catchup on all the systems. Replacing the 2002 list in the signature.

Found that I believe is the same saying $149 for it (US likely, we're in Canada). I don't see where or how I can determine what is already installed in this newly purchased Explorer. Its a lot for an update. I have a stand alone Garmin w/lifetime updates it cost less than that. So the economic of updating or poor but knowing how many versions back it is would be helpful.

We will have to take it to a dealer later since there is no way to find the Door Access codes for unlocking. Maybe they can shed light on it. I believe this generation was Sync #1 and not upgradable either. But from our test an old Ipod works with it and we programmed other keys and FOBS from the 2002 and have them working with the 2009 perfectly.

Thanks for the link.

Cheers

Found that I believe is the same saying $149 for it (US likely, we're in Canada). I don't see where or how I can determine what is already installed in this newly purchased Explorer. Its a lot for an update. I have a stand alone Garmin w/lifetime updates it cost less than that. So the economic of updating or poor but knowing how many versions back it is would be helpful.

We will have to take it to a dealer later since there is no way to find the Door Access codes for unlocking. Maybe they can shed light on it. I believe this generation was Sync #1 and not upgradable either. But from our test an old Ipod works with it and we programmed other keys and FOBS from the 2002 and have them working with the 2009 perfectly.

Thanks for the link.

Cheers
You can eject the current DVD and look at the "P" number. I took my unit out a while ago and 9P or something was the latest then.

I have play a CD in the unit as a test. Where is the DVD. I thought its loaded into a drive or memory of the NAV Stereo Head

I have play a CD in the unit as a test. Where is the DVD. I thought its loaded into a drive or memory of the NAV Stereo Head
You're right - sorry. I believe the unit switched over in '09 from the DVD based unit to the SD card based one. The older one had a second DVD drive behind the screen that needed to be opened via a menu command.

That or a storage drive as there seems to be storage empty which music can be load into. But the kit from Ford includes a DVD from their cross reference for this year and model. Looks like $200 buck CND and my son says its too much (his vehicle). He can get good Garmin like I have with lifetime updates which is done several times a year. I would be good to know still what date it was or vintage.

tripplec,

In your original post, you mentioned you saw version 1.0x on the information screen. That is the version you have currently. Version 9.0x is the latest version for the 2009 Explorer. It's for US & Canada. While map updates are not mandatory, it does help with performance to stay update. Keep the link handy for the future if you choose to update. Enjoy your weekend!

Shaay

Oh wow if thats the case the original owner never updated the NAV database. I saw example screens in the installation PDF showing that as well..

Mine is 06 so it started with P1, and now I am on 13P. I get them on the web for about $ 50. Worth every penny every few years.

There appears to be a free Sync update available on Fords website. We're going to look into doing that and address the ancient NAV maps later.

I'll have to look into cheaper NAV updates as $200 per year is absurd when you can get free updated for a stand alone GPS that costs less than $200. Doing it every two years amount to a huge amount of money. There was a free update advertise in searches I did from Ford when the vehicle was in for other service. I may not have applied to North America though. The search goes on bring some software/firmware to a more current state.

Are these DVD's vehicle specific to match the application code of the unit?

Thx 2009 is omitted from the lineup listing. Code is different for out 2009 from Ford/Navteq listing as well. I guess that one is not available. Bummer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks like something changed for 2009.

Back