• Register Today It's free!

Navigation system problems

tv4fish

Reaction score
City, State
Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 EB V8 & 2002 EB V6
Anyone else having a similar problem with their Nav. system? I have a 2007 EB - it was bought used from a private party. It had/has the 2P Ford Navteq disc. It recently has been giving me the msg. about "dirty" or non-compatible disc. I would clean the disc, re-install it, and then it would work for a short while and then give me the same msg again. So, I buy a new 8P disc from Navteq thinking it WAS a bad 2P disc. Guess what - I install the 8P disc last night - installation seems to go fine - but then I get the same old msg about dirty disc, etc. This morning I punch "map" and it works (?) but only for about 5 minutes. While it was working, we could hear a little noise, like the disc was turning, coming from the unit. Then, of course, we got the same msg. again.
Anybody had similar problems? And, would a Ford dealer be the only place to have this checked out or would a "computer" place be better? I would think that once a disc gets "loaded" - the machine should NOT have to "read" it again. Am I wrong? Any experts have some insight here? Thanks in advance for any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As with any optical drive that reads CD/DVD discs, the laser and/or lens could get dirty. A spec of dust or a little moisture would be enough to give you the read error you were experiencing.

A dealership would still be your best bet although I'd be a little afraid of what they would charge. A computer place on the other hand should be able to "clean" it sufficiently however the issue of testing it remains. I do not think the computer place would be properly equipped to test the unit after cleaning unless they are familiar with the wiring arrangement of the harness. For tray loading cd/dvd drives (like those found on most computers and home-based players, there are cleaning discs with a small brush attached on the underside. Do NOT use these disc for a slot-loading mechanism such as those found in car decks.

When a disc is loaded, it reads and loads only a portion of the disc. It is not able to read the entire disc and store it into memory. Even aftermarket NAV capable headunits like the Pioneer AvicD3 would be able to cache a set amount of information. It then needs to read the disc again after that cached information is exhausted.

One thing to check though. If the unit fails to read only at a specified location on a disc (and the disc is new) then the issue may be more than just a dirty laser. A misaligned tracking mechanism may be at fault.

Thank you for your response. I'm a little confused about your statement about the unit loading only a portion of the disc ? When I put a "program disc" into my computer, doesn't it HAVE to load the entire disc at one time in order to run the program? Just like when I loaded the 8P disc last night - it said the disc had successfully been loaded? Wouldn't that mean that the entire data set was loaded - otherwise, how could it display all the info.? I agree with you -- I THINK my problem is the reading device -- how do I get it cleaned? I'm a little reluctant to blast some compressed air in there???

Loaded and Installed depending on how they're used can get a bit confusing.

Like I said in my earlier post, when the NAV unit "loads" the disc, this means that the hardware acknowledges the contents of the disc. The NAV unit runs it's internal OS and navigation software. Then it reads the data files on the disc sequentially or as requested by the route you have chosen. The data files in a NAV disc is huge. Sometimes it could be as large as a DVD itself or more than 4GB.

Further when you had the 2P and went to 8P then obviously you have the upgraded version. Some discs are able to update some of the files on the NAV hardware. This is very similar to flashing the bios on a PC/computer.

The data files in the NAV disc contain, among other things, the route information or maps. The maps in a NAV package usually contain the entire US and most of Canada - again that's a huge amount of data. Since you're in MN, it would have no way of knowing that you only intend to go only to the Mall of America or to cross the border into Manitoba-Canada. If it had to load all the maps at once then it would have a hard time doing that. That's why it takes only a small portion of the map, buffers that into memory, compares your location on the map with what coordinates the satellites are providing, and then reloads new information as you move along.

As far as cleaning, I would not suggest blowing air into it through the loading slot. This is specially true if you intend to use one of those air-in-a-can. Not only is the laser pickup very sensitive, but it can actually introduce more moisture and cause bigger issues

Again - Thanks. NOW - It makes a little more sense -- BTW - I hope it WILL work when I go to Ontario fishing this Summer? So - when I loaded the 8P disc last night, it picked up on the satellites in my area and ONLY loaded the map info. from this area. Then, as I drive, it will load the data for the area I am driving in - got it! Still have the problem with it reading the disc properly though ???

I am not sure if the 2007 can do this but Try a different disc - not the NAV disc. How about an audio disc? This suggestion is based on the possibillity of running other media files on the same device - similar to many aftermarket units.

1. Anyway play an audio disc and see if there is a specific part or track where the read error occurs. Let's assume that it stops playing 2 minutes into track 9

2. Eject the disc. Reinsert and play it again. If it stops anywhere near the same place - then its a tracking issue - the mechanism holding and driving the laser pickup may be misaligned.

3. If it stops at random locations (using the same) the same disc then its probably a dirt-related issue

Unfortunately it's not the most scientific method but it's prob worth a try.

As far as cleaning - I do not know of any effective method to do it other than pulling it out and opening the unit itself.

Thanks again--- I agree - it's worth a try in order to isolate the problem.

I am not sure if the 2007 can do this but Try a different disc - not the NAV disc. How about an audio disc? This suggestion is based on the possibillity of running other media files on the same device - similar to many aftermarket units.

1. Anyway play an audio disc and see if there is a specific part or track where the read error occurs. Let's assume that it stops playing 2 minutes into track 9

2. Eject the disc. Reinsert and play it again. If it stops anywhere near the same place - then its a tracking issue - the mechanism holding and driving the laser pickup may be misaligned.

3. If it stops at random locations (using the same) the same disc then its probably a dirt-related issue

Unfortunately it's not the most scientific method but it's prob worth a try.

As far as cleaning - I do not know of any effective method to do it other than pulling it out and opening the unit itself.

The dvd is in a different slot than the audio cd's. I don't think that would work. You could try alittle compressed air (VERY LITTLE) and see if that works.

Thinking about this situation a little more (and that's dangerous, I know). BUT - I'm questioning how "techboj" explained how these work - I am still thinking that when a disc is loaded, it HAS to load ALL of the data on that disc - because if I punch in a destination that is "far removed" from my current position - if it didn't have all the data already loaded, how could it create the route? I do understand, that as I travel the route, it may have to access different satellites in order to give me my present position.
Anyone else have any input?

The newer Ford navigation systems load your map disk onto the internal hard drive. I dont belive these showed up until 08'. All the previous versions had to access the info off the CD as it was needed. There was a small amount of cache inside for the small amount it was currently working with on the 07's and prior.

For cheap money you can buy a cd cleaning disc at a best buy, kmart, walmart, etc. I bought mine at CVS and it's a cd with tiny little brushes on one side to clean debris of the lens. It's worth a shot.

seannydeez: You need to read techboj first post -- the brush idea will not/doesn't work as the disc entry slot barely allows the disc itself to go in - I'm sure it would destroy the brush on the cleaning disc ? Anybody else got any ideas ??

I have a cleaning disc by Memorex that I use on my 06 explorer and haven't had any issues with it fitting, they are soft bristles that bend. I honestly don't think it would help anyways because it sounds like the head (the optical laser) is misaligned. This company seems to be familiar with the problem and can apparently repair it for $150.
http://replacementradios.com/product_info.php?cPath=289_315&products_id=1093

Thanks seannydeez - I might have to check them out. But -- ?? - just to confirm -- you DID run a cleaning disc through your '06 unit w/o hurting anything -- Is your a factory Pioneer unit? The really odd thing is that this thing works sometimes and then it will just keep giving me that stupid "incompatible/dirty disc" msg.

Yeah, I don't know about other brands, but the cleaning disc I got was by Memorex. The bristles on it are very small and soft and had no problem bending to get through the slot...I have the same unit you have. I haven't had issues with mine, I'm just a little neurotic and periodically run the cleaning disc. Good Luck!

Sean: Is this what you use? http://www.memorex.com/en/Accessories/Disc-Cleaning--Repair/CDDVD-OptiDisc-CDDVD-Lens-Cleaner/
I'm getting desperate :) --- I'm not sure IF the new 8P disc is loading or not -- When I put it in, it takes a couple minutes to load and it says it has loaded OK? It doesn't say that it is an incompatible disc and that it DIDN'T load? I had the old 4P. The thing worked OK for about a month for me with the 4P in there - then it started with the msg. So, I got the 8P disc (brand new). Any other possible things to try to "wake it up" ?? Sometimes when it pops up that msg. and I hit "No" when it asks if I want to install a disc - then the map shows up but I can't enter a destination or anything else? Getting darn tiresome!

I must have the older version of it because my disc just has black writing on it, but it does have 6 brushes and does all those extra things. If you ever do get it working right, let me know how the 8P is because Im thinking of upgrading because the disc I have now isn't the greatest around Boston.

Back