• Register Today It's free!

Need a little help

xperii

Reaction score
City, State
Soldotna, Alaska!
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLT
I'm still having occasional studdering when shifting into reverse out of park sometimes. it happened again today coming home from the park and it sounded like the engine stalled... im getting worried... My engine also tends to surge from 300 rpms to 1000 or so sometimes..

last week i put a new radiator fan (it was cracked SOO BAD), oil filter, air filter, Changed the fluids, made new gaskets for the IAC and MAF and cleaned them both. I picked up some auto lite platinum plugs and gapped them today, and tomorrow im putting them in right after i run some seafoam through the engine.

My windshield wipers still only work on high, i pulled the steering column cover off yesterday and put a different multi function switch that i pulled from an ex at a junk yard and that didn't seem to solve my problem. i didn't notice any messed up wiring while i was in there, does this mean the motor is the real culprit even though it works perfectly fine on the high setting?

anyway I'm hoping that the seafoam and new plugs/wires fix the surging problem. The windshield wipers aren't the biggest problem obviously but i want to fix it soon.

some of you may remember my other thread about how i've financed this vehicle and that its not paid off yet, but i know i cant get what i owe on it to get out from under this so i've decided to keep it and (hopefully) when its paid off and I get the problems fixed on it, some of my money can go towards some freakin' mods.:thumbsup:

does anyone have any opinions or know of another route to take if the things i do it tomorrow don't work? Am i even taking the right approach to it or is there something else i should try first?

Thanks guys :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A couple of things.

If you replaced the fan because it was cracked, I hope you replaced the clutch as well.

Always change the plug wires when you change the plugs. Use the best ones you can find.

After you change the plugs and wires, if it is still surging, check for vacuum leaks, that is a common cause of surging.

Just replace the wiper motor. I had the exact same symptoms, spent a lot of time researching online (there is a technical reason this happens this way), and replaced it. Good as new. Having said that, if you have big hands, it would be worth every penny to have a shop do it. The access is very poor, and there are special clips that are only available from a Ford dealer. If (when?) you drop the clip, and it doesn't come out on the ground, you're off to a dealer to get a new clip in the middle of the job...

Hope this helps.

Mike

I did the sea foam treatment this evening through the brake booster line, i put 1/3 in and put 2/3 in the gas tank.

No smoke show at all really (?) but it did fix my broken gas gauge! WooHoo!

I stayed a a super 8 last night...:D

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^?????????????????????????????

I had a surging/idle problem with my 94 Sport a few years ago. Some of your symptoms sound similar so I thought I'd reply. I did all the stuff like plugs, wires, and checked all vacuum connections. Still had the problem. Turned out to be the PCM.

I also had an occasional shuddering when going into reverse. Problem was the gas I was using. I started using that ethol alcohol blend and when I went back to regular 87 octane, the shuddering went away.

Back