Need a replacement center console lid | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need a replacement center console lid

Dave S

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Mill, South Carolina/ Charlotte.....home of Nascar
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 AWD
The center console lid for my 2000 Explorer is trash. I bought a kit to re-cover the lid it but in taking it apart I noticed the mounting screw bosses on the base itself are all cracked and broken so the screws will not hold when I put it back together. Unless someone can suggest a way to repair this problem then I guess I am out of luck.

Does anyone know if Ford still stocks replacement lids (I can check with a dealer on Monday) or am I relegated to the local junk yard to find one?

Dave

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe RIPT auto has a few of the whole lids-he is a vendor on this site. I bought a used one and had same prob, tried repairing mounting screw bosses with some high quality epoxy. They broke right off as soon as I tried putting screws in them. You could also try ebay.

Yep- RIPT has them, they are also on eBay. He sells them already recovered and intact.

i have a grey one in great shape, off my moms 01 she wrecked.....

I managed to piece the old one back together for now with some glue. I will see how it holds up.

One thing I did to relieve some of the stress on the lid from opening and closing it all the time was to remove the latch hardware that locks the lid down when closed. Stress is created every time you have to open the lid and those latches have to release and I believe this contributed to the demise of my mounting bosses. As far as I am concerned this is a poor design and they really are not needed at all. The lid opens and closes much easier now and it does not rattle when closed.

Dave

Back