• Register Today It's free!

Need a replacement drivers seat

PStansberry78

Reaction score
City, State
Edmond, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer XL
Well - After 22 years, the driver's seat in my 93' XL has given up the ghost. It's got a permanent gangsta lean due to a broken seat frame. The sheet metal there is so thin that re-welding it didn't help or hold, so I need to replace it.

Anyone know where I can buy one online? Not having much luck trolling eBay, and the nearest salvage yard isn't anywhere near me.

Mine has vinyl seats. I'd prefer an OEM match, but if I could get a set of something new in black, that'd be OK, too...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hopefully the after market will start supplying reproduction parts in the next several years. Until then it will be luck and salvage yards the supply decent parts. I have rebuilt seats in mine using sheet foam and a local body shop repaired the covers with NOS material. Beings you have vinyl seats it should be easier to repair the covers. As for the frame, many of the seat styles used a very similar frame. So a used replacement could be modified to work. I have a few bottom frames laying around. I will look at them and try to list the differences. There are not many.

The XL is going to toy with you.

I have seen 2 XL with vinyl interior in 5 years.

Cloth upgrade perhaps?

For what it is worth I have rewired an XL to an XLT for power door stuff. I know you were having door panel problems a while back. (My old 4 door was an XL)

The XL is going to toy with you.

I have seen 2 XL with vinyl interior in 5 years.

Cloth upgrade perhaps?

For what it is worth I have rewired an XL to an XLT for power door stuff. I know you were having door panel problems a while back. (My old 4 door was an XL)

Yeah - I'm definitely finding this to be true, but I love this stupid thing. And vinyl appeals to me from a practical standpoint.

I got my door situation all straightened out at this point, too.

Thanks!
Paul

You could make any seat work in theory.

If your going to mod in non original you may want to have a look at some of the full size stuff.

Lincoln navigator for example has some posh seats

You can disassemble the seat to the point that you have just the mount and the slider left, then it's just a matter of making brackets to mount whatever seat you choose.

Broke down and bought a seat from Amazon. It bolted up almost immediately with no modifications to the bracket or the seat, and no need for an adapter.

Here's what I bought: Amazon product ASIN B000E3BVX8
The only thing is that I ditched the sliding arm that the seat belt was mounted on. No where to fit it to the new seat. I just bolted the seat belt clip to the seat's frame where the back meets the bottom. It's in nearly the same place as it was on the stock slider and move with the seat. Not sure whey they even needed that arm in the original design.
(dead link)

Apologies for reviving an older discussion, but how are these seats holding up? Are they soft or firm? I am considering replacing my driver's seat too.

For what it's worth, I re-did mine using seats out of a newer Ranger. I believe it was the 1992-1997 vintage. The seat and frame itself swapped over because Ford uses seat frames with 4 holes on the front/rear for different brackets. All I had to do was tap threads into the proper hole. The brackets and slides didn't swap over, they were entirely different. A shame really, since my driver's slide is pretty well beat up.

The new seats were noticeably taller, much more comfortable and hug you better. Plus, I went from vinyl to cloth seats, a definite upgrade for the summer sun.

I'd choose again to find some used seats out of a newer RBV rather than aftermarket. A lot of our Explorers are up around 200,000 miles. Even finding a seat with 100,000 miles on it will be a heck of a difference.

Back