• Register Today It's free!

Need advice for budget system

fatboy0186

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, Va
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
My stock speakers are just not cutting it. They rattle, aren;t loud enough, and sound thin. I listen to rock and blues, Hendrix and SRV mainly, and since I spend a lot of time in my truck I want to have my music sound good. I want warm and thick sound, which has a ton of volume when I want it. I don't want booming bass, but I want some thump. I know it won;t ever sound like this, but I want it as close to my tube stereo as I can get it.

I have an old Sony deck, which will be going when I get the funds. As for speakers, I don't know. I'm thinking bypassing the factory amp (I don't know how yet) and using crossovers and a small sub or two that will fit under the back seat. Whether any of this is possible, I don't know. I know how to make and modify tube amps, but when it comes to solid-state car systems, I know very little. Any suggestions on door speakers, crossovers, subs, amps, decks, and anything related would help me out a bunch. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

All from Ikesound.com

Front speakers - Infinity Reference Comps ($100)
Subs - (2) 10" Kicker L5 ($250)
Box - Specially made box for mentioned subs ($39)
Amps - JBL 150.1 for front speakers ($90)
JBL 1200.1 for subs ($280)
Wires - Go to knukonceptz.com

That would come out to about $850 with a shipping all that, given you put the stuff in yourself and keep your deck. That wouldn't sound to bad and give you some bump too.

what is your budget? and could you install it yourself? from waht it sounds like , you are lookin to replace your cd player and factory speakrees, and maybe add a sub or upgrade your factorty one. pioneer 6x8s dont cost too much and sound prety good and are good replacements for factory speakers. being you have a 91, if your speakesr are stock, they are deteriorated and the crappy sound is understandble, replacing the speakers might be all you need, and maybe add a small sub (whihc depends on your busdget)

I do not know that much about systems and such. but i can say i bought around 400 dollars worth of stuff from ikesound.com (back when they had free shipping) and the deal went through without a hitch. I got everything i orderd and in a decent amount of time. Their prices are unbeatable. heres an example.

http://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/395

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-8msEHIcnTz9/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?s=0&cc=01&c=10&g=67600&I=130W2541DV

i bought the same sub from ikesound look at the price compared to the other online dealer :eek:

Now crutchfield is very very expensive. But they will hold your hand and guide you through. Their customer support is like no other. You wont get that with places like ikesound but hey thats what the forums are for right? :p

btw ikesound dosnt offer free shipping anymore but the shipping prices are reasonable.

Well I am going to replace the door speakers in about a week or two. I would like to spend $200 at the most. I know I won't get the best sound, but what do you all suggest for a loud and tight sound? If the bass response is decent, I will hold off on a sub.

Back