• Register Today It's free!

Need advice on a 2004 explorer

04ScSaleen325

Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Saleen Mustang
hey guys my name is steve. i am a new member here and just had a few questions. I am looking at picking up a 2004 explorer limited with the v8 in it. the truck has 81k miles.

I was just wondering how reliable these trucks are. are there any known problems associated with this year explorer. any info would be appreciated. and thank you in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I really can't say about the v8s, I have just picked up an 03 v6... I would just recommend following the boards here, and you will learn a lot. Some good and some bad... Sme that will pertain to you and some that won't..

I guess one of the bigger issues I have read a lot about would be the 4x4 system... Another would be the wheel bearings...

Hope this helps and welcome to the site... Enjoy learning everything you can here!

Don't forget about the rear differential whining issues too.

are these major issues, expensive to fix if need be. whats with the 4x4 and rear diff?

the rear diff wears down and ends up leaking. it starts whining when youre going about 50 and above. like mine does and ends up needing a rebuild. currently saving up for mine to get done. Also, the transmissions are ****. I would have a mechanic look at it before you buy or make sure the dealer youre getting it from has a good warranty. Even after all this crap, I still love the truck... IMO its a great ride...if you get a good one

I have a V8 Limited AWD. Nothing untrue has been stated so far. I've had the pinion ring and seal replaced at 50K in my rear diff and replaced a couple of front wheel bearings. Rear is whining again-started at about 100K. I'm at 213K on the original transmission. It is beginning to have some shifting issues but I'm going to change the filter and some fluid and see if that helps it.

Otherwise, mine has been decent and I'd buy another.

hey guys my name is steve. i am a new member here and just had a few questions. I am looking at picking up a 2004 explorer limited with the v8 in it. the truck has 81k miles.

I was just wondering how reliable these trucks are. are there any known problems associated with this year explorer. any info would be appreciated. and thank you in advance

Below is a couple of forum links to past discussed posts regarding the same questions you are asking on buying a 3rd Generation Explorer and just go thru the posts and see what kinds of problems to look out for. Transmission, wheel bearings, rear diff and timing chain tensioners are the more common big issues. Also some PITA behind the dashboard heat and AC problems. Good luck.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=353687

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194199&highlight=2002+problems

i have a V8 AWD at 105k that came with a classII hitch, which means i have open 3.55's. The rear diff whine relates to the Posi traction and the clutch's wearing out. Since i have a door code of 45 i don't have to worry. If you check the door code and see a letter D4 than it would apply, as that mean limited slip.

My tranny was rebuilt at 50k, new struts twice by 100k, ABS sensor issues, Wheel bearings. I'd still buy another, great truck.

My 02 has an open 3.55 and had to have the rear rebuilt and after 40kish it started whining again. My 03 has 3.73 posi no noise at all.

The trucks have their issues but no more then anyother and less then many others.

Back