• Register Today It's free!

Need advice on shocks

IxHolyFordxI

Reaction score
City, State
Bloomington,CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT
Hello everyone I bought some pro comp rs3000's for the front end of my 1998 ford explorer sohc 4.OL 4x4 and I had a hell of a time putting them on.. and after I noticed that the shocks rub up against my cv joint plus they didnt even make my ride smoother at all ...i had superlift shocks first and they had a extra spacing from the lower control arm to the beginning of the shock whick worked perfect ...so what im asking should i just get the same superlift shocks or is there anything else that are similar to the spacing feature as the superlift shocks...and my truck has about a 2 to 3 inch lift ...not exactly sure ..i bought it like that.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it actually lifted or Torsion Twist? 2 inches would be fine for a stock length shock if it's just a torsion twist. Otherwise just go off size of the superlift shock.

I have the 2 in lift by torsion bars and shackles. Rusty's Offroad is located near me and went rough him to get shocks. They were too big and rubbed my CV. I switched to a set of monro-Matic+ and they work fine. No rubbing at all.

That's weird, im running procomp 9000's upfront, no problems. 98 explorer 4x4 sohc. TT and then lowered a bit, no issues.

Ohh btw, I run Monroe Sensa Tracs in the rear.

Your shocks are probably for a 2WD, that is why they rub the half shafts.

Ohh the big fat ones?

I run the control track monroes up front with Monroe load levelers in the rear they are a spring over shock. I say this cause they are listed as a set but sold Sep. I have owned four explorers an this is the absolute best shock setup I have found it even levels them out

Since were on the subject of shocks, Im looking at the Monroe Air shocks for the rear, i was gonna do those with shackles, and a helper leaf. Has anyone used them before. I had similar Monroe air shocks on my Mustang, and I really liked them.

Only if u dont go off road. The load levelers I mentioned from Monroe are safer and will help your cause alot better IMO.

Back