Need Advice on Tires for a 2008 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need Advice on Tires for a 2008 Explorer

You can go to a 245/70R17 since it's just a slight increase in the sidewall and an even slighter increase in the width, there shouldn't be any issues other than a 2-3% difference in the speedo/odometer reading which will come around after the tires wear down some.

Brand and models of tires to suggest would depend on what you're looking for.

Do you want an all terrain for looks or going off road? Do you just want a good street tire? Do you want something that wears well and will last 100,000 miles? Do you want a quiet tire? Do you want really good wet traction? Do you need snow going ability or you will have dedicated winter tires?

I'd say a good starting point is generally the Michelin LTX M/S. I like them for everything, they wear like iron, have great road manners, have the best ride of any tire on the market, and are pretty decent off-road as well. They are a great tire for rain and snow, though the hard long-wearing compound is somewhat of a compromise when it comes to snow and cold weather traction compared to softer winter-specific tires.

They are available in 245/65R17, and the 245/70R17 size is available in the new "LTX M/S 2" version...which actually costs less. Not an LT rated tire if that's what you're looking for, though.

I'd also suggest the Michelin Cross-Terrain SUV, it's a great tire for a 2WD SUV.

If you were looking to spend a little less, or maybe get a more rugged looking All-Terrain tire, the Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S is worth checking out. They make both the 245/65 and 245/70 sizes, though the 245/65 is H speed rated, much higher than the R speed rating of the 245/70. They are priced really good for tires of that size, tirerack.com shows ~$130/ea, which is really good. They also have tons of other 17" sizes, from 255/65R17 and even a 245/75R17. Overall an awesome A/T at a heck of a price for the size.

simple question: WHY?

*245/70/17 gains so little visually, so filling up the wheel well is not the reason.
*70 series will be mushy/sloppier sidewalls, so handling is not the reason.

I smell a "great deal" or a "brother's helpin' me out" situation. There is another underlying reason for taking a step backward in visual appeal &/or performance.

@ 55k you are knocking on the door of needing to replace, I get that... but being so aloof & not telling the real story is calling you out.

If you are going to go up... Go up 255/65/17 is just within the 10% guideline. It REALLy fills up the wheel arch & has advantages too.

265/60/17 is harder to find but is the ultimate when it comes to a non-off road application. It fills the wheel arch perfectly. fits safe & sanely on the stock rim, & is within 3% of the OE diameter.

STep up & finish your story, tell us why you want that exact upsize.

Rob

Most times, going up a bit on the sidewall height or width is done by the 4WD guys to get an ever so slightly bigger tire on there, both for looks and the miniscule 1/4-1/2 inch height increase.

Those that increase just the width, and go lower in the sidewall to compensate and still get within the stock diameter are usually looking for performance improvements.

The side benefit of using a different size can be cost, too. There are plenty of cases where a slightly larger tire actually costs LESS than the smaller stock size. The Yokohama A/T-S has a few tire like this, where the popular larger sizes cost less than the less common stock sizes on Explorers and the like.

I doubt he's found a deal or his brother is helping him out, since he's not just asking if he can fit a certain size of tire, but looking for brands and models, likely to purchase a set of, brand new.

Some of the brands, you can gain some load capacity. I know from 245/65 to 265/60 you can gain nearly 300# a tire in load capacity. If you make the 275/60 fit the stock wheel, you gain nearly 400# per tire.

245/70 would gain you more in Circumference & rolling diameter & side wall height above & below the rim. So there would be more "visually" above & below the rim. But the actual diameter only increases 1/2" above & 1/2" below the rim.

in order to get height both the aspect ratio (the 245/255/265 #) and the series (60/65/70) they work together to get taller AND wider.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tirecalc.php is a great tool to compare current size versus where you might like to go.

Rob

Back