Need advice painting with rattle can | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need advice painting with rattle can

I am prepping the rear trim on the liftgate glass on my 2002xlt.

I need a little advice on rattle can painting on the plastic trim.

The color code (tx), mineral grey is to be applied.

I am prepping for 2 coats of color, and 1 clear coat.

My dilemma is, should I sand between coats? And any other special preparations should I make?

Ken

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ken, I did my '99 SHO's rear 1/4 panel, and I did 4 coats of color and 5 coats of clear. I would lay more paint, as you're not going to have enough paint there, especially clear, to get it like you'd probably want, to get rid of the orange peel and match the rest of the truck.

Caveat- patience. Take your time, you're going to be looking at this thing every day, and if you don't take your time, it'll eat you up end make you second guess your process and decisions if you cut a corner. :)

I sanded after the primer:

IMG_0878.jpg

before wetsanding (320 grit) the color:

IMG_1029-1.jpg

wetsanded (320 grit) after the color:

IMG_1031.jpg

After the clear, before wetsanding:

IMG_1083-1.jpg

Then sanded with 800:

IMG_1845-1.jpg

Then wetsanded with 1000, 1500, and 2000

IMG_1842-1.jpg

I then buffed out using a yellow pad on my Meg's DA using Meguiar's Ultimate Compound, then #83, and topped with NXT 2.0 Tech Wax.

Done:

IMG_1958.jpg

IMG_1869.jpg

IMG_1974.jpg

How long did you allow between coats to allow for drying?

Ken

Never spray in one spot. Go from side to side in sweeping motions. Two coats may not be enough. Its better to do multiple coats that are very thin. Maybe 4 or 5 and the clear on top. I would wet sand. You can get wet sanding paper at autozone for 6 bucks. 1000 to 2500 grit. Ill post a couple picks of how some of my projects came out in a bit.

How long did you allow between coats to allow for drying?

Ken

For the primer, about 10 minutes, color about 15 minutes, clear about 25 minutes. Thin coats at first, thicker final coat of clear. I moved in the middle of the project, so it sat for about 2 weeks before I wetsanded the clear and buffed out.

Ok, thaks for all the help.

I'll give it a try on the weekend.

Ken

I didn't put near the effort in mine, I sanded the hell out of it and sprayed flat black on it. Mind you if you had seen the multi faded red(seemed like 7 diff shades of red), along with different color doors, and ZERO clear coat, anything looked better.

I got too close in some spots, so it has runs. I also did it outside with wind blowing so...yeah.... but for $50 I have a solid color truck. I plan on "trying" to make it look better, but I lack a garage/ shelter of any kind. So my job will prob never be quite professional looking.

Back