Need Advice!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need Advice!!

Coonslyse

Reaction score
City, State
Vestaburg,MI
I just found a 2002 explorer v8 Eddie Bauer 3rd seat 145,000mi for $2,000 in the junkyard. The body is nearly perfect except for a few minor scratches. The problem is with the engine. it wouldn't go into park the guy at the scrap yard doesn't know anything about it he said I could fix it up and buy it if I wanted it. I jumped it and got the trans into park, but the engine won't turn over. There is no serpentine belt and it is full of brand new oil. My guess is the last owner broke the belt and drove it till the engine seized then change the oil hoping that it would fix the problem. My question is, is it worth the trouble of trying to fix/replace the engine. I'm going to college and don't have a lot of cash to invest in the thing.

Well your best bet is to make a deal with the Junkyard, try to talk them down to $1,500 as is, or see if they will toss in a running engine for the $2,000 total. It's already going to have a salvage title, so a non-stock engine won't hurt you much, just know no insurance company will give you full coverage on it once it's fixed.
The junkyard by me asks $250 for the 4.6 with anything from 50k-150k.

Back