Need Box Ideas Please | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need Box Ideas Please

well i went ahead and ordered my stuff. all audiobahn with some lightning audio accesories. with an alpine HU. hope to get it put in this winter. will have pics up as soon as i can. i still have no idea how i can make the subs perform at their best and still make the cargo cover work.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

With the box I made I could not use my cargo but what I thought that I might have done was to attach the cover to the box by way of brackets that take the place of the holes that the cover goes into. The cover will be higher over the box and slant down slightly to the rear to hook it in. therefore you won't see the box(only maybe the side of it) and you have your cover.
Does this make sense to everyone?

To acheive the highest possible SPL score all comp X's that ive seen or read about have the sub/crx style box subs up ports firing to the hatch.... it just works.

It may not seem loudest to the ear but in comps only the meter counts...

My Daily driver box is wierd... the ports and sub are on the same plane and need to face the SIDE of the truck, which is loudest to the ear. Ive been experimenting with other style boxes such as sealed and this is what Ive found

Sealed - facing the rear as far back against the back seat
MY silly ported box (4.5 cubic foot tuned to 40hz with 60sq inch of port)- both port and sub facing the side.
6th order Bandpass - sub up ports back closest to the hatch
Angled 4th order bandpass - ports as close to the hatch as possible

my new ported will probably be tested as soon as my concept amp comes in... im gunna try to build it this weekend.. 7 cubes with 100 sq inch of port tuned to ~37hz or 40hz.

Originally posted by Black Magic
Those are some huge boxes!

Mines bigger.:D
164054_56.jpg

well being so that im in college.. and i drive almost 450 miles back and forth from home with my stuff, i still need to use my trunk. those boxes are just a wee bit too big.. lol..

:D You guys are nuts, you know that?

lol, I just came to find where to point my puny mono 10 inch sub box at and you guys are blowing me away!

Anyway, maybe I don`t have the greatest ear but it does appear better firing backwards and resting against the middle of the seats, what I can`t seem to figure is the box is a wierd shape that you can change the angle that the sub faces. Like it can either be closer to firing straight at the rear or closer to firing upwards. It sounds the same to me, but i have it more upwards now.

Sigh, I guess I have to trust my ear on this, there doesn`t seem to be a magical equation for placement and/or direction.

NICE BOXES GUYS!

my box for 4-12"s will definitely take up the whole cargo area...... nice work on the boxes guys....

Originally posted by VairKing
What is the benifit of this? I have a ported box with sub back and port up...I cant complain...

Like BruceWayne said, having the subs in a crx style box will most likely be the loudest setup with out a wall.

For daily driving you probally wont notice a difference but on the meter you will. The purpose of the sub up and port back is to make the rear wave of the sub as long as possible. The by having the box in the correct position it will cause the waves to line up and you will get a higher spl.

I just have a single 10" b/c I'm in college and have the same hauling problem. But I fire mine into the corner of the hatch for the best SQ... and I guess it does sound the loudest that way too. Sounds way better than firing straight back or to the side, but I'm sure a box w/3 subs can't really fit in this arrangement.

Hey so I am a going to get a pair of JL 10's or 12's havent decided in the next week or so and was wondering why do you point your subs towards the rear.

I'm not exactly sure about the dynamics of it, but I know that to my ear at least, and I'm sure many others also, it just sounds cleaner and tighter when I point my sub to the corner of the rear vs. towards the passengers. It just sounds a lot more hollow when I point mine towards the front. The same was true in my Intrepid when I had that. I got deeper bass when I pointed the subs forward, but it wasn't as clean or tight as when I pointed them to the rear. Someone else may have the physics on this problem. I never was a big fan of physics. ;)

Back when i was 16 (9 years ago) i bought my first subs which were 10inch SAS bazooka bass tubes. They were the only thing that fit in my mustangs trunk and easily removed. In the instruction manual it actually says that you need to fire them backwards into corners.

Here's an interesting point I came across today while doing some box building research:

Make the box fit your car. Make the most of the space you have. Build it so you can still have things in the car that won't poke holes in the subwoofer. I like to fire my subs face down into the spare tire well - they are protected from the elements, and they make the most of reflected surfaces (you get a 1dB gain for every reflected surface. 3dB gain is twice the volume). This is similar to the increased sound of farting into a toilet bowl (it's so resonant!). Bass also doesn't care where it travels. Notice that when a bass-head is driving past your house at 2am, you hear bass only. Bass travels through everything, so it doesn't matter which way the sub faces, it will still sound great. Be aware, however, of phase shift (as mentioned above) when positioning the sub.

The reason it sounds better when you face them back as opposed to firing them forward is because the wave needs time to develop. To hear the sound there needs to at least a quarter wave, and low freqs need room to develop. An 80hz wave is around 13 feet long so lower freqs are even longer. Thats why when you face the subs toward the seats you dont get the real low bass.

You know, I did know that at one time. Thanks for clearing that up Ben51925!

better never than late, 'er somethin.

317685_4_full.jpg

Back