• Register Today It's free!

Need crossbars for ST

mikegrad77

Reaction score
City, State
Westchester NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 ST Atlas Blue
Hi all, i hope this is the correct sub-forum.

I now need to pick up some crossbars for my Thule box. Taking the kids skiing in 2 weeks. Does anyone know anoy other options other than Ford? Thule, Yakima? Ill take anything i can get in a week. My dealer doesn't have the ford bars, and it seems like thule and yakima don't have the proper adapters yet. Any ideas / thoughts? know anyone with the ford bars in stock?

thanks
Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I now need to pick up some crossbars for my Thule box. Taking the kids skiing in 2 weeks. Does anyone know anoy other options other than Ford? Thule, Yakima? Ill take anything i can get in a week. My dealer doesn't have the ford bars, and it seems like thule and yakima don't have the proper adapters yet. Any ideas / thoughts? know anyone with the ford bars in stock?

thanks
Mike
please disregard, i think i found a dealer with them in stock.

thanks
Mike

please disregard, i think i found a dealer with them in stock.

thanks
Mike

I ordered from a dealer in RI for $208. $222 total shipped, they should be shipping today or tomorrow and only take a day or 2 to NY and NH. Just another option for you.

I ordered from a dealer in RI for $208. $222 total shipped, they should be shipping today or tomorrow and only take a day or 2 to NY and NH. Just another option for you.

What’s dealer was that? Turns out the dealer i found doesn’t have them yet.

Mine came "dealer installed" which means as soon as I bought the vehicle they had to order them. We tried for months to get them in before the correct ones finally came in. In the meantime, with ski season about to start I had already decided that the harbor freight cross bars for $70 would be my first alternate choice. With the coupon they'd be about $56 and look like they'll fit. If they don't fit, keep the receipt and bring them back. Worst case you're out nothing, best case you paid 1/5 what you would of to a dealer and 1/10 what thule would charge.

BTW the HF XBars get excellent reviews, see here: Universal Roof Cross Bars Set of 2
and you can find the coupon here: Harbor Freight Tools Coupon Database - Free coupons, 25 percent off coupons, 20 percent off coupons, No Purchase Required coupons, toolbox coupons

Did the cross bar design change on the 2020? I have a set from my 2017 Explorer and wanted to install then on my 2020 if possible.

Usually it is the roof rails that are redesigned resulting in the requirement for different cross bar attaching points. I don't believe anyone has attempted to install the cross bars from the later 5th gens. /if you have your ST, give them a try and let us know.

Peter

Considering they are different part numbers (completely different, not just a letter or a number) for the 5th vs 6th gen, I'm dont see how they would.

Did the cross bar design change on the 2020? I have a set from my 2017 Explorer and wanted to install then on my 2020 if possible.
Yes, they did change.

The 2019 and earlier models had slots in the roof rails for the factory cross bars, which spanned the inner edges of the rails. They could slide forward or back in the rail slots, and they were tightened against the rails with two screws on each end.

The 2020 rails have no threaded holes, and the factory cross bars clamp onto the rails.

HTH!

They are radically different from the 2011-2019 generation. My dealer ordered the wrong ones (2019 version) twice and sent them to me. When I attempted to install, they were not even close to workable.

I would recommend aftermarket bars. I have factory cross bars and am pretty disappointed, mostly because they are very flimsy. I have aftermarket bars on my other vehicle and they are much more solid with accessories attached

Another issue is that the back bar will not slide all the way towards the back of the vehicle. It will only go about 12 inches shy of the back of the side rails, and I prefer to put the accessories more towards the back. I'm curious if anyone else has noticed this.

Attachments

• 20200813_194547.jpg
    20200813_194547.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 134

I would recommend aftermarket bars. I have factory cross bars and am pretty disappointed, mostly because they are very flimsy. I have aftermarket bars on my other vehicle and they are much more solid with accessories attached

Another issue is that the back bar will not slide all the way towards the back of the vehicle. It will only go about 12 inches shy of the back of the side rails, and I prefer to put the accessories more towards the back. I'm curious if anyone else has noticed this.
I don't have the factory cross bars, but I do know that the 2020 rails taper inward toward the rear of the roof. You may be able to disassemble one side the rear cross bar and shorten the bar itself, which would allow it to move back a bit, but you would need to do something about the attachment point at the bar foot. Is the bar threaded, or do the attachment screws go all the way through both sides of the bar foot?

I'm looking at the Rhino Rack 59" Vortex Aero cross bars, the Vortex Aero locking end caps, and the Vortex SX100 bar feet, which are available on Amazon, e-trailer, and several other sites, but they're about $400-450 for those parts. They seem to have the best reviews, the strongest clamps, and the least noise.

I don't have the factory cross bars, but I do know that the 2020 rails taper inward toward the rear of the roof. You may be able to disassemble one side the rear cross bar and shorten the bar itself, which would allow it to move back a bit, but you would need to do something about the attachment point at the bar foot. Is the bar threaded, or do the attachment screws go all the way through both sides of the bar foot?

I'm looking at the Rhino Rack 59" Vortex Aero cross bars, the Vortex Aero locking end caps, and the Vortex SX100 bar feet, which are available on Amazon, e-trailer, and several other sites, but they're about $400-450 for those parts. They seem to have the best reviews, the strongest clamps, and the least noise.

Yes, I agree the issue is because the side rails are tapered. There bars are actually unique, in that there is one for the front and one for the back. In my mind it is still a shortfall in the design not being able to use the full length of the rails. I would recommend an aftermarket bar where the cross bars are mounted on top of the feet/clamps to allow for varying distances between the clamps. I believe the set you are looking at should allow this. I just wish the factory bars were designed this way.

Regarding modifying the factory bars, I'm sure it's possible but then I could run into the opposite issue where the bars may not slide forward enough for certain accessories. If I remember correctly, there is a threaded insert on the underside of the crossbars where the clamp attaches, so that could cause issues as well.

59” seems long. I just added a Rhino Rack system on my 2018. Used 54” bars. I am very happy with it. Got it at rackoutfitters.com. Was going to get at e-trailer, but they were waiting on stick to arrive.

I can give more details if you want.

thanks
Mike

Check out the Surco Crossbars. They have those on 4wheelonline.

59” seems long. I just added a Rhino Rack system on my 2018. Used 54” bars. I am very happy with it. Got it at rackoutfitters.com. Was going to get at e-trailer, but they were waiting on stick to arrive.

I can give more details if you want.

Isn't this thread about a 2020 model?

Isn't this thread about a 2020 model?
Yes, it is but he was replying to the member that has a 2020 ST about his own experience.

Peter

Back