Factory vs. Aftermarket Crossbars

OffTrac

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Dublin, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Sport Trac 4x4
I'm starting to reconsider getting a roof basket. I really wanted to avoid it, but I want the other half of my little bed back and put the spare on the roof. I'm pretty much set on getting the Curt basket as the price is awesome and I think it's a company that has its welding and manufacturing process pretty well figured out. If their steel and welds are trusted for hitches (mine's a Curt), I'll certainly trust them to make something to hold a spare. Not looking to spend Thule prices (Lono, let me know if you think I'm really making a mistake).

What I haven't figured out is the crossbars. I don't want to spend more on the bars than I'm spending on the basket, just seems illogical to me. I don't it want it to rust out or be weak, either. I also require locking bars that won't rust shut. So, I'm turning to y'all for opinions.

Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nope, I did put four self-tapping screws on top of each of the brackets going into the bars for added security and strength. I can send you pictures if needed.

if you go with cheaper crossbars, make sure you look into the locking mechanisms on them. i bought my set off ebay and the actual crossbars are strong as hell and havent rusted a bit, but one winter up in the mountains during snowboarding season, and our heavy rains in the spring and the locks and all the bits that move the clamps apart and back together started to rust up. im already planning on buying a new set of crossbars as soon as i get the cash stashed away. in my honest opinion, i would rather buy a used set of yakima, inno, or thule crossbars than a brand new off brand set. thats what im planning on doing.

I've had my set for almost six years now and haven't had any problems. I live in the "Rust Belt" too. Yakime's are nice but stand up way too high, jmo. Mine are really low which made the rack more stable and no so awkward looking.

:crazy: Love the pic and the qoute on it "does not fit without existing factory roof rails" :bdrunk:

What about factory bars? I got a deal on a set over on MyST... any opinions... I liked how they looked better, I will be getting a roof rack very soon for hauling rockstar from Indy back to campus for the Purdue Paintball team so I need something that can handle a spare or a ton of energy drinks

The factory bars look good but aren't rated for alot of weight which a spare, rack, lights, cases of RockStars, etc... can handle. Tyler, where ya been man? You got ST of the month over on MyST. When I had my rack, spare, lights, etc... on my Trac I climbed on top of the spare, sat down on it, rocked back and fourth and the bars didn't now, bend or allow the rack to move at all. The Trac swayed so much I actually bounced the rightside tires off of the ground so I stopped. Lol.

I was in the hospital for 5 days with Mono and Strep and got pretty severe dehydration, Just moved into my new apartment today so Im still getting settled but got the internet hooked up for all the xbox lovin' roommates :) so Im cruising on here before bed.

I miss having stuff to post pictures of :(

yeh me i plan to do a rack someday.after my SAS and SOA lift but that will wait till deployment. honestly i like the factory bar looks but they are pricey so my thoughts were to get a 48" wide by 50"+ length rack so i can set it flush on top of the rails and eliminate the need for cross bars

If you get the Yakima MegaWarrior you can use the top half of the mounting brackets, drill holes in the roof rails and bolt directly to them and have it as low as possible. This is the way is go if I got another MegaWarrior.

I know its not as sturdy but i put vinyl strips on my roof and the tire sits on those. Then I got cinching locks to hold it on and lock it up. So far no issues and only $10.

The ebay crossbars rusted shut on mine in a few months but I live where it rains a lot and it's humid as hell. I ended up picking up some factory bars off of craigslist replaced the bolts with stainless allen key bolts instead of the ones you can remove by hand. I like the look of the factory ones better however the ebay ones are stronger. I had to destroy my ebay bars to remove them.

Back