Need help ASAP: changing brake pads | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need help ASAP: changing brake pads

SilverBullet

Reaction score
City, State
Tulsa, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Eddie Bauer AWD 5.0
So I'm changing my brake pads. Nothing new, have done it many times. But this time something is different.

I'm changing the rear pads on my '01 Ex, and I've got the piston pushed into the caliper so I can put the new pads in and mount the caliper back in position. But, the rubber boot around the piston ballooned outward. So, instead of being flush with the edge of the piston that touches the back of the pad, it looks like a belly button, with the piston "inside" and the rubber boot part sticks out. It's not bad, but I'm wondering if I should be worried about the rubber boot tearing and causing my brakes to lose their fluid, and therefore causing a brake failure??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yea u might wanna try and get that Dust Boost to fold back in correctly
if it does get damaged that will let contaminates inside that will destroy the seals inside and cause a leak.

Ditto... You may want to have someone hit the brakes to push the piston back out (make sure the other side doesn't pop out too far) and try and push it back in slowly, gently poking and prodding the rubber boot back into place too.

-Joe

umm you got air in the boot haha, I usually spray brake cleaner around the boot to remove any dirt etc before resetting the piston. If the boot does balloon take a toothpick or something and stick it between the piston and the boot (not the boot and the caliper housing) to remove any air pressure, dont stab the boot but lift a corner off the piston so air can escape.

Back