• Register Today It's free!

Changing brake pads

Thelt

Reaction score
City, State
Lenoir, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Limited
Does it require any special tools to change out the disc brake pads? I did it on my Xterra a couple years ago and had a hard time getting it to open up far enough to accept the new pads.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is a tool for pushing the pistons back, and you generally do have to push them back as far as they will go to get new pads in. I don't think the tool is too expensive, but you can achieve the same effect with a large C-clamp and a block of wood.

I haven't done breaks on my explorer yet, but I am planning to very soon. I'm basically just waiting for it to warm up a bit.

BTW how did you like your xterra? My wife thinks they look "cool".

use your old pad and push the caliper back with a c-clamp... make sure ur in the middle so both pistons go back evenlly!

I liked my Xterra a lot. I needed something with a third row though. It was not as refined as the Explorer but it was better off-road. Mine was a 2001 so it may not be comparable to the new ones. I think they have more power now and are more polished. The older ones are more truck like.

hello to all, i am very new at auto repairs, can it be possible that some with knowledge write a thread on how to change brake pads on a 2002-2005 explorer.....thank you in advance for whoever does the write up....

It is not very hard to change disc brake pads. You just take the wheel off, find the bolt that holds the caliper in place and remove it. Then you flip it open and take out the old pad and replace with a new one. You probably should put some of the anti squeak stuff they sell at the parts store on the back of the new pads. The only hard part is getting the calipers to open wide enough to get the new pads in. As they suggested to me, use a C clamp and the old pad.

I have changed them on a small Nissan truck before and did not need a C clamp. I could just pry them apart. A larger vehicle with larger brakes is a bit harder.

What I've been doing is getting a chilton's from the local library (cuz they're expensive) and photocopying the pages I need. The pictures are especially helpful.

I changed the brakes on my BMW and was surprised at how easy it was. Of course I had a Bentley's manual, but I would say my mechanical knowledge is intermediate at best. The hardest part was getting the piston back and from the looks of the Explorer manual, same thing. Get a manual and don't be scared of it. If I can do it, anyone can. I plan on changing the Explorer pads soon, as I'm at 76K and not sure the pads have ever been changed. Any favorite pads for those of you experienced in this? I know the Axxis Deluxe worked good for my car (very low brake dust and good bite). How bout for SUV's?

Back