• Register Today It's free!

Need help ASAP

RedEB

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
So I am tearing apart my 97 and the 00M12 service, but I ran across an unexpected problem...which I ironically expected. Anyway, I can not for the life of me get that damn tensioner off! It is the updated tensioner, but I have no leverage and I have literally rounded the small portion that I do have access to. The 1 1/16 wrench is just too damn bulky. Everything else has gone perfectly, but this has really put a stop to everything!
Suggestion for getting more purchase or from anyone else who has this problem please!!
I'm considering drilling a hole through the top part, stabbing a screwdriver through it and using that as a lever arm to at least start the frickin thing. For God's sake, it should have only been at 35 ft/lbs!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Unplug the temp sensor and temp sending unit on the thermostat housing. Remove the three bolts that hold the thermostat housing in place and remove the three hoses attached to it (the clamps are a pain to get to... I pulled the alternator and idler pulley off to gain access). DO NOT TRY AND REMOVE THE SENSORS!! The threaded bushings molded into the plastic can crack the housing if you try to unscrew them. A replacement housing is not available separately. The entire assembly costs $250, so be gentle with it.

Then, with the housing safely out of the way, you can get on it with a 1-1/16" deep-well socket. I had to use that socket, a 24" breaker bar, and a 30" cheater pipe on it to break mine loose. It didn't want to come out of there!!!

damn, I should have read your reply before I did what I just did. I replaced the ECT and temp sender and the bushings in the housing gave way. Sounds like I am up the creek. This project could not have gone any worse. :mad:

UGGHH!!!!! I have never had such a horrible time working on a car!!!!! As I was removing the three bolts that hold the lower housing on, my 8mm ratchet fell down....nowhere to be seen again. I don't think I heard a plunk (as if falling into water pump) but this is one more thing to drive me nuts. How hard is it to remove this housing? Any suggestions?

I just read your thread on how not to do the 00M12 GIjoe- it is almost exactly the same as what I have screwed up thus far...Cheers! :chug::banghead:

LOL!! I learned the hard way...

Once you get the three bolts out, I suggest removing the idler pulley and the alternator to gain access to the hoses.... Use a good pair of straight-jaw pliers to remove the hose clamps.... The coolant will run down the valley between the heads and drip somewhere off the trans... It'll make a mess.

Good luck!

The project that never dies....
OK, so I got it all back together, made it look all pretty and installed my screamin demon with magnecore wires and autolite spark plugs. I noticed the screamin demon pack I got was different from the one Al showed in his thread, but I still plugged the wires according to his diagram. Didn't start. SOooo, I rewired it in stock form and it started but it runs like garbage...and I mean like garbage. It can barely make it up a hill and the engine is bucking and rocking all over the place. I am soooo confused.... Can someone help me out on this one, my wife is about 3 seconds from slitting my throat. ;)

Yikes, no replies??? Eh, got it figured out anywho.
To those who buy the screamin' demon coil pack, it no longer requires a different sequence than the stock coil.
To reiterate: DO NOT CHANGE SEQUENCE!!!!!!
Also, b e mindful that there is a ground on the furthest back left bolt- failure to install this ground will result in the difficulties I experienced.

Back