Need Help! - Engine not running well... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need Help! - Engine not running well...

explorerjp

Reaction score
City, State
Fountain Hills, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Explorer Sport
Hi all,
My '96 Explorer Sport suddenly developed some problems. When I start it, the RPM's go straight to 2,000 and then slowly settle down to 1,200 over 30 seconds. Then when I start to drive, it stumbles on acceleration and if I do get going, there is no power - it is basically undriveable. In the short two mile drive I had to get it home, it stalled at just about every stop. The check engine light is NOT on.

I must mention that I found that a mouse had been in the engine compartment on at least one occasion. I checked all of the wires and vacuum lines I could see and didn't find anything damaged - just some insulation material torn up.

The day the problems started, I had started the truck and noticed a minor stumble on acceleration. Then the next day, the problems were full blown as described above. Before that day, the Explorer had been running flawlessly.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

J.P.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd give the Check Engine Light a day or two to come on. From my experience, it could be an O2 sensor or a coil pack. I'd search around on this forum because this one problem could have many different solutions.

And welcome to the site! You'll find tons of other usual info here as well.

Thanks for the reply Section525! I can't really drive the thing around in its condition so I don't think the check engine light will come on. I have been searching around for answers. So far, I haven't found much about my problem, but I have seen some cool stuff of this site! You guys have some nice trucks!
JP

wierd problem

i don't know from experience...but maybe check the spark plugs..

welcome to the explorer void...no one leaves with any money...hehehe

JP..
I'd go through this thread and check everything they suggested to Jason. You're bound to find the problem.. and Jason's paying the $5!

Elite Concept: Yeah, I think I will pull a couple plugs just to have a look.

Section525: Isn't that nice of Jason! I would like to point out that the explorer does not have a rough idle. It only stumbles when I go to take off. I'm thinking I should go ahead and replace the fuel filter since I haven't done that in awhile. I don't want to start replacing everything on the truck though unless I'm sure it will help the problem (primarily because I'm not made of money).

Thanks for your help guys!

check these threads

Dead Link Removed

and Dead Link Removed

They both talk about problem with IAC. See if the symptoms sound familiar.

explorerjp,

The first thing I recommend to you is to check the vacuum and fuel pressure. Both tests are very simple and only cost about 50 bucks in total to buy the tools. They will benefit you in the future as well.

Might also want to check the intake manifold bolts.

what Jason25 said. check fuel pressure and vacuum. also, if there's an Autozone in your area, you can "rent" a fuel pressure and vacuum gage from them. they rent them to you for regular price, and when you take them back, you get all of your money back. kind of like a refund.

Thank you everyone! I will be checking the fuel pressure and vacuum tomorrow!

Back