Need Help figuring out noise in front | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need Help figuring out noise in front

98ebx

Reaction score
City, State
SF Bay Area , California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Eddie Bauer 4x4
heres the run down. I have 95,000 on my 98 eb 4x4. Suspension is stock except for the ias edelbrocks shocks. My problem is that there is this noise that seems to have gotten louder over a two months. I believe this problem might of started back a little further than two months. I heard some noise when going over bumps like clunking of rubber or when backing out of driveway turning wheel. I checked out the shocks and the top bushing of the driver shock was cracked and the shock was loose. So I got the replacement from edelbrock and changed it. But i still had that thump or clunk in the front just not as bad when i went over bumps. Well I been thinking it might be the ball joints and tried to pull from top to bottom while my friend watched the ball joints. Doesnt seem to have play in it?. Well its been a month or two dealing with this noisy azz explorer because I havent figured it out. I also notice when I go over bumps I could feel the bumps through the steering wheel now. I just tried checking it again and I notice that there is a lot of play when moving the tire left to right. Could that be the ball joints or steering rack? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh sorry if this is long. had to vent..:banghead:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do 2nd gen Ex's have trailing arms?
I had a terrible clunk in the front of my 93 and had to replace the trailing arm bushings.

Originally posted by tomblin1
Do 2nd gen Ex's have trailing arms?
I had a terrible clunk in the front of my 93 and had to replace the trailing arm bushings.

Im not really sure if they do or not. I know that ppl say that the front is different on the 2nd gen but I dont know what the difference is. Im still a newbie to explorers

Anyone else have any ideas on the noise on my front. Im really thinking of giving it a shot and replacing the ball joints. Looks like a full weekend job for me. Since i never done it before. But before I plunk down some cash I wanna know what the problem is before I tear it apart.

I got interested put it on jack stands

Okay Im just came back into the house. I tried moving the tire again from the top and bottom and tugged and pushed back and forth. I think there is play in there somewhere but I dont know but I do hear a slight thud when i pull and push the top of tire back and forth. Could this be the top or bottom ball joint.
thanks
Im just getting tired of driving around such a nice looking explorer with a embarrassing clunk or thud in the front

Re: I got interested put it on jack stands

Here's a good way to isolate if it's the lower
ball joint. Make sure that it's a dry day, then have a buddy open the door and use the door as leverage to
rock the vehicle up and down and while your friend
is doing that put your finger on the top of the lower
ball joint and if it feels like it's vibrating it's probably
your problem.

Sid

Originally posted by 98ebx
Okay Im just came back into the house. I tried moving the tire again from the top and bottom and tugged and pushed back and forth. I think there is play in there somewhere but I dont know but I do hear a slight thud when i pull and push the top of tire back and forth. Could this be the top or bottom ball joint.
thanks
Im just getting tired of driving around such a nice looking explorer with a embarrassing clunk or thud in the front

Re: Re: I got interested put it on jack stands

Originally posted by Sid Daley
Here's a good way to isolate if it's the lower
ball joint. Make sure that it's a dry day, then have a buddy open the door and use the door as leverage to
rock the vehicle up and down and while your friend
is doing that put your finger on the top of the lower
ball joint and if it feels like it's vibrating it's probably
your problem.

Sid

Im going to try that later. Thanks
Oh how bout the play moving left to right. How much is there suppose to be in the left and right movement. The tire moves a lot left to right with the front on stands.
Could there be a problem with the tie rods or steering rack? Thanks

Re: Re: Re: I got interested put it on jack stands

Haven't had any issues with tie rod ends, so I have
no insight in that regard. I'm sure you'll get a answer
pretty quick though, the members here know their
X's..

Sid

Originally posted by 98ebx
Im going to try that later. Thanks
Oh how bout the play moving left to right. How much is there suppose to be in the left and right movement. The tire moves a lot left to right with the front on stands.
Could there be a problem with the tie rods or steering rack? Thanks

Ball joints one possiblity. Another is the Sway Bar Links (these were a recall item... they would break) there is another thread about front end clunck that is the exact same as yours from a day or two ago and these were the problem. Third possibility is the Kevlar patch on the Torsion Bar. That wears out and get more clunking....

Originally posted by TPLYNCH
Ball joints one possiblity. Another is the Sway Bar Links (these were a recall item... they would break) there is another thread about front end clunck that is the exact same as yours from a day or two ago and these were the problem. Third possibility is the Kevlar patch on the Torsion Bar. That wears out and get more clunking....
when you say that that the sb links would break..would that mean that they are completly broken apart. I didnt notice any separation on the links from the sway bar. I would probaly change those also since its so easy to change. I think i will also disconnect them and drive down the block to see if that the problem..btw whats the link to the recall.
Kevlar pad? never adjusted the torsion bars so never dealt with that..how do you check if they are worn?
Thanks for the help. sooner the better I get my x rolling without that annoying clunking sound.

i had a problem that sounds like what you have. start cheap!

i replaced my sway bar end links and it solved my problem, it may be worth spending the 12 bucks and checking it out....oh yeah, these can look good but be bad....i had taken my truck to a shop and they couldn't find the clunk but after reading numerous posts i decided to try the sway bar end links and bam best 12 bucks i spent so far on my truck

Originally posted by EliteConcept
i had a problem that sounds like what you have. start cheap!

i replaced my sway bar end links and it solved my problem, it may be worth spending the 12 bucks and checking it out....oh yeah, these can look good but be bad....i had taken my truck to a shop and they couldn't find the clunk but after reading numerous posts i decided to try the sway bar end links and bam best 12 bucks i spent so far on my truck

Sounds good to me.. yeah definitely going to start cheap. So where did you get the links at?..do they have them at local parts stores.. like kragens,autozone,pepboys or do i have to go to dealer Im going to get them before I go home today and just replace them because they are just 12 bucks.
thanks

Guys, I have a clunk in the front end as well. It's not to loud, but I can hear it whenever I go over a small bump. Ive inspected everything and dont see anything that looks worn or broken.

One question though...when you talk about Swaybar end links. Where exactly are they? Ive looked and looked for the sway bar.

Ive even looked in my Chilton manual, I see nothing in here about sway bars!! Do they have another name?

Just got back from the ford dealer and while i was talking to the parts guy. He said that the end links were recalled cause of the weak part and might of been replaced with stronger and also longer ones. Parts werent in so I will have to wait til tomorrow to try the endlinks.
They were $24 bucks for the set. I called around different parts stores and they were around the same price within a 2 dollars difference..This sucks :frustrate

i got mine at a local parts store, any auto parts store should carry them, just ask for sway bar end links.
yeah i hunted around for mine they may not be the best top of the line ones but they did the job and should be equivliant to OEM.
what are they? Just search for it and i think there are pictures...but they are a i'd say 8 inch bar wiht bushings on the end that connects the sway bar to the A arm? i think i'm not very good with parts under my explorer :) maybe someone can help me out or let me know if i'm rihgt

I have a similar problem on my '97 5.0. It used to be an occasional metallic sounding single "click" (or slight clunk) when doing a rolling right turn into a driveway. But now 2 yrs later, it makes the sound hitting a bump straight on or during any rolling turn.

I've been looking for a good excuse to upgrade to the beefier torsion bars anyway....

Today I am going to replace the endlinks after I get home. You guys know what the torque is supposed to be on those things? Hopefully this will cure some of the noise in the front.
Thanks

Get a haynes repair manual it should tell you in there this book is a god it tells you all you need to know

Originally posted by CalsonicNGK865
Get a haynes repair manual it should tell you in there this book is a god it tells you all you need to know
Yeah got to get a new manual. The chilton I bought in 98 a week after I bought my x covers up to 97 only. It does have some info but too general. So without going to buy a new manual can someone check theirs and tell me what the torque is for the locknut on the sway bar endlink
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

is there another name for it?

Back