Need Help figuring out noise in front | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need Help figuring out noise in front

looks like 15-21 ft-lbs

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by DonM
Guys, I have a clunk in the front end as well. It's not to loud, but I can hear it whenever I go over a small bump. Ive inspected everything and dont see anything that looks worn or broken.

One question though...when you talk about Swaybar end links. Where exactly are they? Ive looked and looked for the sway bar.

Ive even looked in my Chilton manual, I see nothing in here about sway bars!! Do they have another name?

Roll bar, anti-roll bar, anti-sway bar... It's the big long round metal piece that goes from one wheel across to the other...

Originally posted by CalsonicNGK865
looks like 15-21 ft-lbs

Cool thanks:chug:

Originally posted by TPLYNCH
Roll bar, anti-roll bar, anti-sway bar... It's the big long round metal piece that goes from one wheel across to the other...

Thanks

I think I found the problem

Okay I just replaced the endlinks on my X and it Didnt do anything excepts looks better than the old ones. All well didnt spend too much 25 bucks. But the good thing is I believe I located the problem. I had that noise in the front like the shocks are squeaking. Well the noise seems to be coming from the steering rack. I had my friend bounce the front end while I was under the car trying to locate the culprit. I could hear loud creaking noises. When I grabbed the tie rod there was a lot of vibration while it was creaking.
Does anyone know what the symptoms are for bad tie rods? I believe there is two on each side one outer and one inner. I cant see how the inner is doing cause it has a boot on it. Is there some kind of bushing or bearing that connects the inner rod to the steering rack that can wear out? The reason I asked is I was making a sharp u-turn a few months ago and heard a loud pop and plastic crack. though it was something i ran over. I think after that is when all the noises and crappy ride started. any thoughts appreciated

Update on the noise

Last Night which actually turned into this morning. I tried the fix M.Scott wrote about using the wd40 on the inner tie rods. Well it has cured the problem. I cant believe it. Thought is was a fluke but when I drove it to work this morning the noise was gone. The noise was creaking when coming to a stop and also thud noise when driving over any slight imperfections on the road well it didnt happen this morning and also the steering feels nice and tight. Now I dont know if taking off the tie rods off the spindle and putting it back did anything or moving them around while disconnected or it was the lube or both. But I just hope that it will last a while before the noise starts again.
*I used liquid wrench instead of wd40
Well I just wanted to thank everyone for the advice.
Explorer4x4 Rocks!:chug:

Back