need help finding intake for a 04 V6 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

need help finding intake for a 04 V6

nope..its for a sport trac..read the description tells you which truck it fits.

BTW i just went to pepboys and they have the MAF adaptor! $17..didn't buy it b/c forgot my wallet..but i'm going to get it soon and just buy one of those cheap intake kits for the 02-03 explorers

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

kkmkn1.jpg

i was looking at this picture and noticed something.... do the 04-05 explorers have an electronic throttle body? i kno for sure the 02-03s r throttle by wire but i wanna make sure my eyes arent fooling me on this one

blitzk that looks drop down sexy! lol
but man i really can't waste that much money

dtholmanmax- i really don't understand why please call putting a reuseable air filter an "intake" what blitzh has is a REAL intake. nothing personal but i have noticed alot of members using the term intake and meaning just replacing the filter

K&N does make one for your Explorer. It's the full system. Here is a link to one seller
http://www.partsandaccessories.com/...&modelid=103&year=2004&partid=15&brandid=4559

Most intakes don't include the MAF sensor housing, which costs an extra $200+. This will give you everything for only about $220 plus shipping. It's worth the money, especially if you drive sensibly and save on gas.

K&N does make one for your Explorer. It's the full system. Here is a link to one seller
http://www.partsandaccessories.com/...&modelid=103&year=2004&partid=15&brandid=4559

Most intakes don't include the MAF sensor housing, which costs an extra $200+. This will give you everything for only about $220 plus shipping. It's worth the money, especially if you drive sensibly and save on gas.

thanks but no thanks lol
the first one shown is for a sport trac and the other 2 are for a V8 model:(
but thanks for looking bro:thumbsup:

that looks sweet bro..can u send me more detailed pics?!?! PLEASE!!
also where did u get the pipe?

i was looking at this picture and noticed something.... do the 04-05 explorers have an electronic throttle body? i kno for sure the 02-03s r throttle by wire but i wanna make sure my eyes arent fooling me on this one
The '04+ are throttle-by-wire. The '02-'03 are not.

i did this acouple days ago..still trying to figure out how to make the MAF sensor adaptor, b/c i don't feel like paying for the (IMO) overpriced KKM adaptor
P1310103.jpg

The '04+ are throttle-by-wire. The '02-'03 are not.

u must have that flip flopped... i own an 02 and i can guarantee its throttle by wire... not to start an argument, just saying... then again maybe both do or im just retarded... who knows

u must have that flip flopped... i own an 02 and i can guarantee its throttle by wire... not to start an argument, just saying

I have an '04 (built Nov 03) and it is throttle by wire - it is also a 4.6 V8 if that makes a difference.

ghoster - I used the standard MAF and cut it away from the box lid, leaving enough material though to bolt up the $20 odd MAF adapter plates found at pepboys and "all good auto parts stores".

yea i was going to do that also.
Do you have any pictures?
BTW you guys also have Pepboys in Australia? cool!

i made mine with pepboys materials too... the filter and the adapter

2456765_30_full.jpg

i made mine with pepboys materials too... the filter and the adapter

2456765_30_full.jpg

yes i know but the MAF on the 04s is different. What you did is the same exact thing i did w/ my 01 sport.
Again Ford had to be stupid and change the MAF on the 04-05:mad:

yes i know but the MAF on the 04s is different. What you did is the same exact thing i did w/ my 01 sport.
Again Ford had to be stupid and change the MAF on the 04-05:mad:

yea man i never understood that... i guess its another gimmick to rob people of gas mileage and making them think it has to stay the way it is... who knows

I have the KKM on my 05 4.0L nice set up.

yea i was going to do that also.
Do you have any pictures?
BTW you guys also have Pepboys in Australia? cool!

Sorry - no pics, and no, we don't have Pepboys. If I had have said Autobarn or Repco or Supercheap Auto, you probably wouldn't know what I was talking about, but I have read enough threads where pepboys is mentioned to know they are an auto store (I hope).

Here's a link to the adapter though - you just need to "trim" the airbox where the MAF is moulded in to be the same size, and drill holes to match and bolt the 2 together.
mtb950093.jpg

can someone link us to where to purchase this kit? I have also been looking for an intake for my 04.

u must have that flip flopped... i own an 02 and i can guarantee its throttle by wire... not to start an argument, just saying... then again maybe both do or im just retarded... who knows
If you have a '02 with a V6, I guarantee it has a throttle cable. Over in the stock forum, there's even some pics of an '02 throttle body, and it definitely has a cable on it. It wasn't till '04 that the V6 came out with throttle-by-wire. I even have the original literature given to the dealership sales staff that explained it and how it worked so they'd know how to explain it to their customers. It was released in August 2003 for the upcoming 2004 model year.
Now I'm not 100% certain on the V8, but I'd think I'd have heard something about it if it were throttle-by-wire as early as 2002. If I had to speculate, I'd say it too was 2004 and newer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you have a '02 with a V6, I guarantee it has a throttle cable. Over in the stock forum, there's even some pics of an '02 throttle body, and it definitely has a cable on it. It wasn't till '04 that the V6 came out with throttle-by-wire. I even have the original literature given to the dealership sales staff that explained it and how it worked so they'd know how to explain it to their customers. It was released in August 2003 for the upcoming 2004 model year.
Now I'm not 100% certain on the V8, but I'd think I'd have heard something about it if it were throttle-by-wire as early as 2002. If I had to speculate, I'd say it too was 2004 and newer.

whats the difference between having a throttle cable and throttle-by-wire?

Back