NEED HELP!! flashing 4x4 and 4x4 low lights!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

NEED HELP!! flashing 4x4 and 4x4 low lights!!

Michigander

Reaction score
City, State
Flint, Midland, Ann Arbor, Alpena; all in Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Contour SVT
Ok... so I just bought my 95 EB and I took it up north in MI in some snow and the 4 wheel drive is acting weird. It won't go into 4x4 on the fly. I'll turn the switch, wait like 20 seconds and the lights stilll aren't on, so I'll turn it back to 2x4. Then about 1 minute later, the 4x4 and 4x4 low lights will start flashing, for about 5 blinks, then stop and start again about 2 min later. The only way I could get it into 4x4 is to put the switch into 4x4 while the car is off, and then start it with it in 4x4. when I put it back to 2x4, it will always work right.

Are the lights flashing some sort of a warning or what? I couldn't find any info about this in the owners manual. PLEASE HELP ME!! Thanks

Ok, I've had a similiar problem b4 like this. Try this....disconnect you battery, then find your transfer case and electric shift motor, use something like a wrench or small hammer and tap on the motor and transfer case lightly, hard enough but not to cause dents of course! Then, reconnect your battery and test out your 4x4. Hey, it worked for me!!! sometimes the shift motor gets "stuck" or mis-aligned. tapping on it may be an easy fix. If not, you may have to take the cover off the shift motor and check the alignment of it, there may also be some water and/or condensation in there that may be freezing in the cold weather, cause in problems. If that's the case then use a hair dryer or heat gun and dry it out, the seal the cover with some silicone grease or vaseline, if you use a heat gun be careful not to melt any wires!!!
Good luck man!

Oh, and welcome to the site!!!

try this

Dead Link Removed
That is how I fixed my 4wd not working.

Originally posted by Michigander
Ok... so I just bought my 95 EB and I took it up north in MI in some snow and the 4 wheel drive is acting weird. It won't go into 4x4 on the fly. I'll turn the switch, wait like 20 seconds and the lights stilll aren't on, so I'll turn it back to 2x4. Then about 1 minute later, the 4x4 and 4x4 low lights will start flashing, for about 5 blinks, then stop and start again about 2 min later. The only way I could get it into 4x4 is to put the switch into 4x4 while the car is off, and then start it with it in 4x4. when I put it back to 2x4, it will always work right.

Are the lights flashing some sort of a warning or what? I couldn't find any info about this in the owners manual. PLEASE HELP ME!! Thanks

The flashing 4x4 lights 6 times every 3 minutes is telling you that your 4wd is not working. If you just pull over and turn off the ignition then turn it back on and put it into 4Auto, then 4Lo, and back to 4wd it will not flash any more. I have had this happen on my 97 before, and what the mechanic told me is the computer doesn't know what position the sensor is in and therefroe won't allow the 4wd to work. When you turn off the engine and turn it back on, the 4x4 is reset and putting it into 4auto just makes sure that the motor will move to the proper place.

Back