Need help for spark plugs on 2005 explorer xlt | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need help for spark plugs on 2005 explorer xlt

Jtownman40299

Reaction score
City, State
Louisville
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer XLT
Been searching the forum for some detailed guidance on how to do spark plugs on my truck, but havent come across anything that I am aware of that will help.

I'm by no means an experienced automotive guy, so the more help the better!

Also, any additional help on related stuff I should do if im gonna do spark plugs would also be greatly appreciated! (And if your local I will offer a 12pk!!)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

there are actually youtube videos on how to change the spark plugs on explorer engines. if you have the V6 4.0, i know for a fact its on youtube because ive seen it. also, the sparkplug on the passenger side toward the fire wall is hard to reach from inside the hood, you will need to remove the wheel well cover (passenger side) and reach in from there.

also, if you are changing the plugs, you might as well change the spark plug wires as well. if you are too cheap, at least test the wires with a multimeter to make sure non of them are shorted out. there is a youtube video on that too. while you are in there, you might as well clean the MAF, change the oil and inspect all of your hoses. good luck, and if you have any questions, just come to the forum.

Can you post the link? I am unable to locate it thus far.

Yeah, I plan to do that other stuff, but like I said, i'm not too hip as to how its done. I may invest in a chiltons manual soon, but money is tight so I was hoping to get help on here (internet, forums, youtube)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Been searching the forum for some detailed guidance on how to do spark plugs on my truck, but havent come across anything that I am aware of that will help.

I'm by no means an experienced automotive guy, so the more help the better!

Also, any additional help on related stuff I should do if im gonna do spark plugs would also be greatly appreciated! (And if your local I will offer a 12pk!!)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Townman, if you have the 2005 XLT with the 4.0L V-6 engine, use these instructions below. You also do not have to take apart the wheel well cover to get at the rear plugs near the firewall as someone else mentioned in here. Changing the plugs and wires on the 4.0L V-6 is fairly easy, just follow the directions and don't cross thread or over tighten the new plugs.

I changed the spark plugs on my 2005 EX 4.0L this past February. I used a spark plug socket with a built in angled swivel adapter for the slight angle of the plugs and I used a 3/8 diameter, 20 inch long socket extension and a 6 inch adapter at times to reach them without having to hang over the fender well to reach the plugs. Ialso used a 3/8in breaker bar to loosen the old plugs and removed them the rest of the way with a ratchet. When installing the new plugs, finger thread them first with the socket and extensions, then torque them down with a torque wrench to specs.. I had no major problems removing my old plugs or wires and to make it easier for me, I disconnected the air intake tubing on the passenger side at the clamps and rotated the air intake tubing up and out of the way for more clearance room. Rotate the the spark plug wire boot side to side a few times to break the seal before pulling them off the old spark plugs. If your spark plug wires are old, good time to change them. I used the "Auotlite Professional Series" Plug Wires Part # 97050 and single platinum Autolite OE spark plugs Part #AP 103 bought at Advance Auto Parts. The cylinder numbers for your plug wire connections should be printed on the coil pack, mine was, but I have the Haynes Manual to verify as well and the original factory Ford Wires had the cylinder numbers printed on them as well. Passenger side cylinder number is 1-2-3 in that order front to back of motor while standing infront of the radiator looking at the motor. Driver side cylinder number is 4-5-6 in that order front to back of motor while standing infront of radiator. The cylinder number on the coil pack while standing infront of the vehicle looking down at the coil pack is "rear row" 1-2-3 left to right, the "front row" is 5-6-4 left to right order. The actual engine "firing order" is 1-4-2-5-3-6 for the 4.0L V-6 engine. Prior to installing the new spark plugs, double check the gap setting which is .061 to .068 for the 4.0L V-6's, 2005 and earlier models. Once you have your new plugs partially threaded by hand and ready to torque them up, DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN THEM. You can damage your threads and cylinder heads doing so. The max torque setting for the spark plugs on the 4.0L V-6 2005 and earlier models is 156 inch lbs. If you do change your plug wires or re-use the old ones, make sure to apply "electrical grease" inside the boot connections on the plug wires at both ends prior to re-connecting them to the plugs or the coil pack. Hope this info helps you get started, just ask if you have any other questions about this procedure. Good luck!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't forget to use "antiseize" on your new plugs.

Don't worry, it's not as hard as it was chalked up to be. I did it with no problems at all this summer.

As long as your arms have no steroids running through them, you should be able to reach all plugs from the engine bay.

Get the plugs started with a spark plug socket and a knuckle adapter (whatever you call those), then take the adapter off. It takes away a lot of feel and allows the plug to go all caddywhompus when you are backing it out.

To get the plug back in, use your hand to screw it in as far as you can. Use a small hose to pop into the back end of the plug in case you drop it. I am not telling you that from experience.....

The use the spark plug socket again (NO knuckle going back in). When you tighten it enough to the point it stops turning on its own, don't force it!! give it a little extra oomph for a quarter turn and that should do the trick.

Back