Need help identifying a cooling part quick!! PLease help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need help identifying a cooling part quick!! PLease help

JeffNJ94Explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Middlesex, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Explorer 5MT
I'm supposed to let my mom borrow my Explorer tomorrow, so I can use her car for a couple weeks. Well i noticed a little bit of leaking antifreeze, i found it seeping a little bit from this black plastic connection right before to heater core(under the hood), I touched it and the anti-freeze started shooting everywhere! The black plastic peice is cracked, What is it called and will I be able to get one at Pep Boys, or Napa? Its got two small antifreeze lines going into it and 2 going out, right into the heater core. Please tell me this is not a dealer item.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

heres a pic

IMG_1641.jpg

Its the heater control valve (and the vacuum switch is there, its under one of the heater hoses in the pic).

Its not an after market part in fact I got my last one at I think car quest. Seems like these things are notorious for leaking. mine started out leaking around the seal for the activation rod replaced it with a new one it did the same thing took 3 to finally fix it. My brothers ranger did it too he just lived with it till he traded it last month on an 06 F150.

Thanks everyone, i called autozone and they wanted $60!!! I found a new oem one on ebay for $8 plus $5 shipping so i snagged that one

Mine broke one really cold night, and of course I was 18 so I was tearing ass down the road and not paying attention to the guages. Came to a stop at a read light and suddenly I am engulfed in a mysterious fog. WTF? Light changes, I cross the road and notice the temp guage screaming at my face that imminent motor death is near. Found the leak, took the stupid valve off, had a bunch of car related stuff in the back. Ran two male barbed ends into it, never had another problem. Not saying that you should do that, but it worked for me:thumbsup:

Stang99,

I'm wondering.......since you made the mods to the heater control valve, where as you just bypassed it. Did you notice that the A/c isn't as cold as it used to be??

I ask......because, it was said in the other thread (provided by Shamaal).......quote from CougerX:
Heater Control Valve.

Parts store should have it.

It shuts off coolant flow to the heater core when the heater is not in use to make the A/C more efficient.

So, I'm wondering and thinking........(I'm trying to track down a problem I'm having w/ my A/c). That the vacuum is applied and the valve closes off or restricts the heated water to the heater core. Thus, the heater core won't get hot (or as hot) and the A/c would be more efficient?

Then again, there is possibly another door that should/would block off the heater core area, from the A/c air area..........What do you think?

Aloha, Mark

I don't have that X anymore, but I never had a problem. Remembering that it also ran R12 not 134 was a big difference as well. I never converted it I just bought R12 from local sources if I needed it. I wish I'd have never sold it. I mean, how many cars have you seen with a heater core vacuum bypass? My old 5.0 stang had ice cold air before I removed it and it didn't have a bypass.

Are you running 12 or 134? If you converted it or opened the system, did you vac it out before refilling? Give me a little background on yours and I'll figure it out.:thumbsup:

I'm using R134a.....anyway.....I guess...I'll just remove it and play around with the diaphragm see if it's moves......then play around with hand vac. pump and see if it will hold.

Other than that, I've seen one diagram of the vent doors......and........I'm trying to avoid taking off the dash to look see.

The A/c shop said it wasn't the A/c system that was at fault.

Aloha, Mark

Back