• Register Today It's free!

Need help quick for vacuum lines

EXPLODER1991

Reaction score
City, State
Portsmouth, Va 23701
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT
Alright I was replacing the gaskets on my valve covers, and got everything put back together except I noticed one spot for some type of hose on the right side of the intake manifold (when facing from front, and the end is facing down). I have a 1991 with standard v6 4.0 liter. Can someone please show me a pic of their engine or tell me if they know what goes there. It will start, but idles high for a sec (bout 2000 rpms) then just cuts off. will do it each time started. Sorry for this type of rookie error guys, but I really cant find any other hose anywhere, and I'm wondering if I plugged the wrong one in somewhere. Please help, MUST drive to work tomorrow. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Where is it on the intake manifold?

Sounds like your canister purge to me.
Is the missing vacuum port coming from the throttle body? If so it goes to your charcoal canister and canister purge valve.
on a 91 the valve hangs in the air near the radiator support.

vacuum line help

When facing from the headlights, it's on the right side, and it actually looks like it's a part of the intake manifold. It faces straight down and is a pretty decent sized hook-up. I am by no means a mechanic, but I have a haynes manual... redneck with an idea go figure. I cant find any decent info on those lines in the manual, and like I said it runs for bout 5 secs and shuts off. Dont know much else about what vacuum lines are involved, tried to google it but all I got were 4 sale ads. Thanks for your help.

Jesse

This tells me nothing.
It is on the drivers side and faces down.

Okay so what? Is it on the front of the manifold where the throttle body is?
Is it in the back on the vacuum tree with the rest of the vacuum lines?

How large is the hole? How far does it stick out? Do you have a camera?

alright, found which one ur talking about, I hooked that one up to the front of the intake. The one I'm talking about is towards teh rear of it on the right (when facing from front)

yes driver's side closest to the fire wall. bout a 3/8in hole.

just took a couple pics. gimme a sec please and I'll post em

brake booster

I have the brake booster hooked up already. Pretty sure it's in the right spot. I have pics now, but how can I post them? sorry for all the ?s

well your auto trans gets one, the fuel pressure regualtor gets one, your EGR gets one, the brake booster gets one, the vacuum canister gets one, and if those are all hooked up then you might have just lost a rubber cap. Not all the ports ont eh vacuum tree are used, so plug it up and see if it runs right.

alright, I've been looking like a mad man all morning for the lost hose. I hope that's the fix. thanks for your help. Hopefully I wont be back on this thread.... today. Thanks again.

Jesse

one more thing... it's not the one on the vacuum tree. it's the big solo one just in front of it on the driver's side. the tree is all hooked up. it's the big one coming straight from the intake side and facing down.

Pcv Valve

thanks, finally got it. It was the hose that comes off of the top of the valve cover. it was so short it had spun around where I couldnt see it. but apparantly thats the least of my worries, there's a head that apparantly just fell off of the bolt that secures the cover to the head. I used manufacturer's torque specs, but now here I go to learn how to use a tap and die set. wish me luck... thanks again for all your help. out here

thats the PCV valve :), glad you got at least one thing fixed :)

Back