Need Help Replacing TPS Sensor on 05 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need Help Replacing TPS Sensor on 05 Explorer

gt500fever

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer XLT
Hello All,

I am trying to replace my TPS sensor on an 05XLT with the 4.0 V6. It looks like I am going to have to remove the Throttle Body to get to the screws so I just want to run this by everyone before I decide on what I am going to do. I have purchased the motorcraft replacement TPS. It says in the instructions that I have to heat the existing tps before removing it. Is this necessary. I am comfortable replacing everything else but I don't have a heat gun and am not really comfortable with heating it. Has anyone else done this replacement and did you have to heat it? I didn't have to do this on my friends mustang when we replaced it. I look forward to hearing your responses.

Respectfully,

Roger

Haynes describes (for 2006 and later V-8) that the TPS is attached to the throttle body with adhesive on the screws. Use a heat gun to heat TPS and mounting. Don't exceed 130F. Can't reuse screws or TPS after doing this.

This may not apply to your year and engine. See if the screws come loose with light to moderate force. Otherwise use the method described above to prevent damaging the threads in the TPS mount.

There is "Loc-tite" on those screws. You'll strip them before you get them to break loose. Use a heat gun or hair dryer to warm them up. And be prepared for a fight. I generally use my Dremel and just cut the heads off and back out the rest with vice-grips. Then put in new screws with loc-tite.

Is this Loctite also present on the 2005 Explorer TPS? I am trying to verbally coach my brother in another state on how to change out his TPS, and his first dilemma is not being able to GET to the screws, and then second I saw this post which implies he might still have trouble.

Back