Need help troubleshooting. ex is dead | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need help troubleshooting. ex is dead

c4m4r0

Reaction score
City, State
Philadlephia, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
it started up no prob this morning, i get a mile from the house and while accelerating it just died. i pull over and it wont start, tried jumping and nothing. the lights work and the starter is fine it just wont run, no spark.

When i turn the key on the fuel pump DOESNT run so i tried swapping out the relay and still nothing. I just replaced the fuel pump about 5 months ago/9000 miles ago so i dont think its the fuel pump. i checked the fuses and they all looked good.

Where do i go from here? what else would cause the fuel pump not to run?

thanks in advance

Jerry
AOL: blackhawk98ss

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is an inertia switch under the passenger side dash that can be tripped and it releases the fuel pressure in the event of an accident. This doesn't really sound like the problem, but I guess anything is possible. Otherwise I would say you might have gotten a bad fuel pump or a wire may have come lose or gotten penched. If all else fails put another fuel pump on it, which is not at all fun, unless you like hours of working laying on your back trying to lift things that way more than I do. I guess that is what they invented a floor jack for, but its still kinda hard.

yeah did ya buy the pump new or used? some times they just go and even if you test them out side the car dosnt mean they will work when installed

What noises does it make when you start it up?

the pump was new, also replaced the fuel filter afterwards.

as far as noise the engine does sound like its trying to turn over, just not firing up. i think my battery is going dead now though from all the attempts at starting.

i dont know if you have a product called aerostart there its pure ether in a can it will start any thing. try and get some of that if it dosnt spin you have ignition probs take out one plug and turn over the motor if you have a spark its ignition timing no spark may be the coil is shot

Finally had time to look at it. Since i knew i had a new fuel pump i started looking at the fuses and relays. relay was fine. and i found one of the small fuses 10A in the middle of the distributor box was blown. fixed it and it started right up :)

which fuse was it anyway cause it wasnt labeled? it was the far left on the second row in the middle set of fuses.

wonder how much the dealer would have charged to fix that lol. probly woulda blamed it on something else and charged me for it.

Jerry

c4m4r0
Put burned fuse back in, tow truck to the dealer and tell them what happened (don't tell you located the problem). Will see what they tell ya. :) I guess it's even possible to try to sue (sp??) them if they give you a bunch of $H!T.

ttt

Was it in the power distribution box under the hood or the fuse panel under the driver's side dash?

under hood

According to the manual there shouldn't be any 10A fuses in there. From your discription it sounds like location # 18 which is the fuel pump fuse and it calls for a 20 amp fuse.

thx.

thats weird though cause it was a 10A. i put a 15A in there cause thats all i had laying around. guess ill throw a 20A in tomorrow.
thx again.

BTW what manual says that? doesnt say in my haynes.
Jerry

It's straight from my owner's manual. If you spot me a few minutes, I'll take a pic of my distribution box and tell you what each fuse is and proper sizing if you like.

sweet.

8811pwrdistbx.jpg

Fuse 1: 60A Ignition
Fuse 2: 40A Headlamps Fuse Panel
Fuse 3: 60A Fuse Panel
Fuse 4: 30A EEC Power
Fuse 5: 50A Blower Motor
Fuse 6: 30A Power Locks
Fuse 7: 20A 4 Wheel Drive
Fuse 8: 60A Power Seat
Fuse 9: 30A ABS System
Fuse 10: 30A ABS System
Fuse 11: 40A HTD Backlite
Fuse 12: Open Position
Diode13: ABS System
Diode14: EEC System
Fuse 15: 20A Fog Lights (optional)
Fuse 16: 15A Alternator
Fuse 17: 15A Hood Lamp/DRL
Fuse 18: 20A Fuel Pump
Fuse 19: 20A Trailer Tow
Fuses20, 21, 22 Open Positions
Relay 1: EEC Power
Relay 2: ABS System
Relay 3: Fuel Pump
Relay 4: ABS System
Relay 5: A/C W.O.T.
Relay 6: Heater Blower Motor

ty very much :D

also what could cause the fuse to blow?

Jerry

My guess, it drew a little higher current than normal and being as it was only a 10A fuse and not a 20, it blew. I don't think you will have any more problems with it once you have the proper one in.

Back