Need help - Weird coolant leak at rear of engine | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need help - Weird coolant leak at rear of engine

dreiwhit

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT
Long time lurker here. All of the how to's on this site have been really helpful over the years.

My wife's 02 Explorer XLT has developed a coolant leak coming from the rear are of the engine after overheating one hot summer day when she was stuck in traffic. When I was underneath it, it seemed like the coolant was dripping off the rubber cap in the bottom of bell housing, but the coolant also seems to be in the same general area as the puddle of A/C condensation.

I can't see evidence of a leak on the rear of the intake manifold or heads, but its hard to see back there, so I may have missed it.

But what is weird is that the coolant only leaks when the A/C or heat is running. If I turn the A/C control completely off, nothing leaks out. No puddle of anything under her Explorer. We don't smell any coolant inside the Explorer, but we can smell it on the outside.

I'm thinking that this may be a leaking heater control valve, but I wanted to see what y'all thought first.

Thanks,

Whit

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry, yes, V6, non flex fuel.

I haven't pulled anything off yet to look to see if its puddling before running down the back of the engine. I did replace the thermostat housing, and there's no leaks from there.

and you're certain that it's coolant, not just AC condensation? I've noticed on my 02, the condensation tends to come out in two spots.

Back