Weird Coolant Leak... need some help | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Weird Coolant Leak... need some help

I'm guessing that the port on the radiator that the hose fits over has some crud ridges that used to match the old hose. Now with the new hose, you've got an irregular sealing surface that isn't completely sealed.

It should seal over time, or just pull the hose off and clean the port sealing surface really well. This sounds like it was nothing more than a weep to start with, and your story suggests its getting better with time.

As for the air in the radiator, it takes a while to burp the air out of an engine after draining the system and refilling. Just keep on topping off the radiator, keeping an eye on the reservoir. Eventually everything will reach an equilibrium and you'll forget about this whole episode.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We took our 96 for a 300+ mi trip. Next morning it was -22F and it was leaking coolant from mid upper pass side radiator. Yesterday I picked up a new radiator. Today I warmed it up for 30 mins while I topped off trans fluid and watched for leaks. Nothing leaking!

There is coolant on top of water pump outlet area. Im guessing the cold shrunk the seals and or the hoses are failing or the outlets/inlets are cracked. Going to get new hoses & seals before I take it anywhere.

Tighten everything back down and see what happens. Pressure test the system and see what happens.

We took our 96 for a 300+ mi trip. Next morning it was -22F and it was leaking coolant from mid upper pass side radiator. Yesterday I picked up a new radiator. Today I warmed it up for 30 mins while I topped off trans fluid and watched for leaks. Nothing leaking!

There is coolant on top of water pump outlet area. Im guessing the cold shrunk the seals and or the hoses are failing or the outlets/inlets are cracked. Going to get new hoses & seals before I take it anywhere.

Tighten everything back down and see what happens. Pressure test the system and see what happens.

-22...Wow....I'm sure your Explorer didn't take too kindly to being started that morning. I know my Mountie *****ed at me when I started her in -5 weather lol. :D

I almost think it's something with the hose tolerance being a non factory hose. My rad was cleaned off before i put the hose on and the water neck sand blasted. I'll just let it be for now and see if it does it again. Just sucks feeling like I can't trust it.

I almost think it's something with the hose tolerance being a non factory hose. My rad was cleaned off before i put the hose on and the water neck sand blasted. I'll just let it be for now and see if it does it again. Just sucks feeling like I can't trust it.

I agree. Im worried about blow out this summer.

I replaced my radiator. It had a crack in the plastic on the upper right side. It didn't leak much. But, when hiway driving, stopping at rest areas to noticing a wet spot . I researched and replaced it. I-10 in Texas can be unforgiving. I actually had no problems. Just an uncomfortable feeling until I fixed it in El Paso:salute:

Did I mention ....I thought it was the upper hose?

Well my leak seems to have stopped. I guess I'll give it some time and see if it decides to come up again. I know my radiator end tanks have small cracks in them. None that would cause a coolant leak, but cracks none the less. So I know the plastic has run it's service life and really begs to be replaced. But I hate throwing money at something that doesn't absolutely need it when it comes to a beater truck.

I did find my leak. I had bolts work themself loose, not much but when I would first start up in the cold it must have been enough to seep out while idling as I wait for it to warm up. I retighted and my leak has vanished. Your leak seems to be coming from a different area. Good luck and I hope you find it soon

Interesting! I just posted elsewhere. I have a mystery leak also. ONLY when engine is cool. Any comments. Tks.

Interesting! I just posted elsewhere. I have a mystery leak also. ONLY when engine is cool. Any comments. Tks.

Look for a tiny drip hanging off the crank pulley-oil pan area. If you see this I almost guarantee there is a leak between the timing cover and block.

Well I ripped everything apart this weekend because my coolant leak came back. I put a new gasket on my thermo housing and used black RTV on both sides of the gasket, and used black RTV on both rad hose ends and made sure I was using the right rad clamps on my hose.

I did see the thermo housing was more pitted than I noticed when I put it back together, so that may have accounted for my small leak on the engine side, but the rad side I have no explanation for. It really really looks like it's coming from under the hose and not a crack in the rad.

I also noticed a small leak coming from my intake manifold too. It seems to never end. That one isn't bad so I'll just leave it alone and hope it seals itself up over time.

Look for a tiny drip hanging off the crank pulley-oil pan area. If you see this I almost guarantee there is a leak between the timing cover and block.

Thanks!

Still not able to determine where the leak is. But I have since then found pieces of plastic in oil base. Taking in to mechanic shop this week to remedy that. I guess i will now be able to find the leak. This is my first serious ($$$) repair on this vehicle. Guide replacement kit $140.00, possible water pump $80.00, Mech fee $250.00.:mad:

Back