need help with 92 explorer, turns over but wont start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

need help with 92 explorer, turns over but wont start

bghits13

Reaction score
City, State
Orange County
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Ford Explorer
:mad: I hope someone can help. I have a 92 explorer that seemed to be wanting to die out and did on the freeway, but started back up. Then *kaput* it died out and now won't start. When I turn the key you don't hear the fuel pump "charge up", it wants to start but doesn't make it past cranking. Checked the relay, still good, checked the battery, fine, and was told fuel pump, which I just changed, and still nothing...won't start..what am I missing???? Suggestions???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Inertia switch? Have you checked your fuel pressure at the rail?

92 ford

Inertia switch? Where and how do I check that? Even still, its a brand new fuel pump and still I don't hear it priming...like there's no power to it

Test for power at the pump also. May have a issue in the circuit somewhere? I have also gotten a defective replacement fuel pump in the past as well. But start with the easiest/basic checks and go from there. ie, fuel fillter, inertia switch(upper right corner of passanger side foot well under carpeting),pressure at fuel rail, ect..

Check the basics, for engine ignition you need three things:
1. Spark
2. Fuel
3. Air

Check to make sure you have fuel pressure at the rail and also check for spark. Also look for power at the fuel pump and fuel pressure and FLOW at the fuel rail. You can build the pressure, but if the filter is clogged you won't get the flow needed to sustain it.

yea i would test the wires at the pump. look at the wiring diagram and find the wire that goes back to the pump from gas tank, and look at the wire to see if it is damaged at all, if it is then the pump is not getting power to run.

Back