need help with 93 explorer very bad | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

need help with 93 explorer very bad

splvictim21

Reaction score
City, State
Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 ford explorer sport
Guys I need help really bad I have a 93 ford explorer. And when in park runs fine but soon as I go to put a load on it in reverse or drive runs horrible shakes vigorously and rpms go up and down really rough idle. I have changed number of parts parts.

Maf
Tps
Air filter
New plugs
New wires
Purge vent solenoid
Temp sensor
Coolant switch

Nows here's the issue the pass side of motor running fine with no issues now the driver side of the motor is running really lean/rich real bad. On the driver side someone please help me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does your '93 have two O2 sensors? When you have mixture issues isolated to one side of the engine, I might start testing the O2 sensor/wiring on the offending side.

Does your '93 have two O2 sensors? When you have mixture issues isolated to one side of the engine, I might start testing the O2 sensor/wiring on the offending side.

Only thing man for o2 they gotta be warm I thought bout that. This happens soon as u start it up in the cold like instantly. Other problem I have in any condition if u drive normal like reg feels like the motor chokin itself u give it gas 2 floor and your just at 35

If you don't like the OI2 sensor idea, have you checked fuel delivery (fuel pressure, injectors, etc.)?

Well guy's went to go start my truck up today at meijer's and its shaking and sputtering like it want's to stall almost and this is in about 70degree weather now. my fuel pressure is 40 with koeo so my fuel pressure is deff good. Im thinking maybe replace the 02 sensor's before i have to go in and tackle a fuel injector. Compression all normal on all cylinders also wood1 it's deff. some type of fuel/emissions issue i believe. Has anyone else had this problem ever. my mechanic said it's like it make the whole driver side maybe every cylinder go dead.

Wouldn't your engine be in open loop when cold and not actually paying attention to the O2 sensors? I would look at swapping in a known good coil.

true it would be in open loop but now it's also doing it when its hot outside. and i dont think would be the ignition coil because it has one that control's all cylinders. i cant keep throwing part's at this ya know it sux. i wish i could find someomeone who has had this problem b4:(

I'm guessing you were careful to make sure you got the firing order correct. You don't know anyone with an Ex or a Ranger that would let you try a couple parts?

I'm guessing you were careful to make sure you got the firing order correct. You don't know anyone with an Ex or a Ranger that would let you try a couple parts?

yeah i even went and re-checked it nu mber of diff. times. no i don't that's another thing that sux:(.well guy's i put both new o2 sensor's on they deff. were shot but went and also had fuel fuel system cleaner sent through motor and got all carbon emisson deposit's etc...out it and it was running good when left friends shop. but same thing let it sit for a little bit started up and what do ya know it's back to running like hell. this sux i hate not having a daily driver it's to the point where its choking itself in middle of traffic and i can punch it to the floor and barely be doing 30mph at all. i rented a fuel pressure tester for $180 luckly i get that back cause its just a deposit at my work but if my fuel pressure is down more then likely i need a fuel pump that's more cash outta my pocket this sucks so bad. I've got so much bs on my plate right now i feel like i never get a break right when u think thing's are getting good.

What are the RPMs at when its idling? Maybe you have a vacuum leak..

Rpms are are 650 in park so higher like should be but then in drive lower then 500 and then like i said will start surging. i've sprayed carb cleaner around motor no vacumm leak's that i can hear or nothing pick's up when i spray the carb cleaner around motor. But here is something i did notice if i put it back in park and will still be running real rough idle if i just barely and i mean barely push up on the throttle the idle will pick right back up and will idle is self normal.

Anyone someone please help me:( , also if i do fuel pressure test 2morro and fuel pressure not in spec with issues im having should i do the fuel pressure reg. first?

Sorry not an expert, but if your X runs fine park (as in you can hit the gas and it revs up and down fine) then the only variable left is the transmission.

If the torque converter is on its way out maybe it's killing the engine by prematurely locking up.. Just my guess..

How many miles are on it? have you ever changed the fuel filter? It might be the torque converter. Mine locked up on me before and it would die as soon as it went into gear. And if it went into gear without dying it would drive really bad and it would die when i stopped moving.

Does it make a difference if you put it in 1st or 2nd? and maybe you should do a compression test.

Did you hook up the gauge and drive it? Tape it to the outside of the windshield and drive around recording pressures.

Back