Need HELP with finding where a single wire goes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need HELP with finding where a single wire goes

Post number 2 has been selected as best answered.

Lifelong40fan

Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 5.0L Explorer
New guy here and need some, hopefully, quick help. My son and I have been replacing the water pump, radiator, hoses, fan clutch, and giving a tune up to his 1997 5.0L Explorer. In the process of putting in the new water pump, a wire that mounts to the driver's side of the water pump bolts came loose. It's a single wire in the wire wrap and is the white stripe on green wire. I can't find a loose wire anywhere. A pic of the wire is below. Thanks in advance for the quick help. We're hoping to get everything together tomorrow.
Cheers,
Mike

Attachments

• IMG_1014.JPG
    IMG_1014.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 83

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

New guy here and need some, hopefully, quick help. My son and I have been replacing the water pump, radiator, hoses, fan clutch, and giving a tune up to his 1997 5.0L Explorer. In the process of putting in the new water pump, a wire that mounts to the driver's side of the water pump bolts came loose. It's a single wire in the wire wrap and is the white stripe on green wire. I can't find a loose wire anywhere. A pic of the wire is below. Thanks in advance for the quick help. We're hoping to get everything together tomorrow.
Cheers,
Mike
I own a 99 5.0. According to the 99 Factory Manual, a Dark Green / White (DG/WH) wire in that location is for the oil pressure switch which is located on the lower left side of the engine block. In order to access it's easier to remove the left tire, splash guard and power steering hose clamp. I know because I had to replace the oil pressure switch and the connector was a ***** to disconnect.

Thank you, this is very helpful. Well, difficulty in finding and repairing this wire will be par for the course. We struggled mightily just to run the new plug wires in a way that they wouldn't touch the exhaust manifold, let alone the troubles of pulling the original wires!
Cheers!

Good post @8TZX !!!

yes!! oil pressure switch wire, drivers side of block there is a single wire oil pressure switch down low on the block near the oil filter mount

FUnny story, kid had a 2001 Mercury Mountaineer PREMIER edition with 150K miles on it. He replaced the water pump and when he did he smashed this wire in the pump!
The oil pressure gauge on the dash quit working and he figured he lost oil pressure. Sold me the truck for $800!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(worth $5000 back then) I found the error, removed the water pump and the wire and all of its plastic shrouding was melted inside clogging half of the water passage...
Moral of the story...be careful, work cleanly and use plenty of LIGHT when replacing things on your engine........

Found the switch and sure enough, there was a push on connector that the wire had been pulled out of. No way I would have found that without your help @8TZX. We got it fixed and just about everything back together. Just waiting for a fan clutch to come and then it'll all be back together. Thanks so much!

Back