Need help with my AC and Heat EATC !!!Please Help!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need help with my AC and Heat EATC !!!Please Help!!!

Mikethomsen

Reaction score
City, State
Wake Forest, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 EB
Hello, I have a 96 ford explorer. It has the electronic climate control. Anyways, when I turn it on allot of the times, nothing happens until I have been driving for a little while. Maybe like 15 to 20 minutes. Then it actually blows air out. Until then you can hear the valves switch over when you switch it to defrost, panel, etc.... But the blower motor doesn’t seem to turn on for 15 to 20 minutes after driving. I have no clue of what is going on. If anyone knows I would love to hear of any suggestions of what I can do to fix this problem and how easy or hard it is to do. Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

relax its supposed to do that. my lincoln does the same thing.

You explorer makes heat by blowing a fan across a small hot radiator that is under the dash. before this small radiator can get hot the engine needs to warm the coolent up. The computer knows this and doesnt see any point in running a fan across a cold heater core (little radiator under dash) so it doesnt turn the fan on until the car gets to normal operating tempreture. that way you just blow cold air around.

Well, Your reply sounds very logical. I guess I should have described my problem a little better though. Neither A/C or Heat will turn on. ????? It bothers the H%*$ out of me. I really cant figure out why it is doing this. It use to work fine.

Anyone have any suggestions yet?

Im sorry for replying but this is driving me crazy...Anyone have any suggestions yet? Thanks in advance

Please help....

Do you think that if I purchased another electronic climate control unit that might would fix my problem or do you think it is something more then that? Thanks in advance.

Please someone help me... It's cold here!

Please great people. Help me with this problem. I have tried everywhere with no luck. It was 10 degrees out last night and getting colder. Please, please, please.... :(

Sorry, not really familiar with the EATC, but is there no manual control option, so it is not depending on the system to determine when to turn on/off?

Thank you for replying

There is a option for manual control but no matter what is puched on the EATC it cuts on when it wants to. I just purchased another control unit and should get it soon in the mail. I hope that this will work. Thanks for your reply, Michael

Please let us know if you get this fixed. Iam very curious as to what the problem is

I'm curious too. Tell us what causes the heat not to turn on, ten degrees does sound cold though.

I will let everyone know if I get this fixed.

I will let everyone know if I get this fixed.

Did you run the self test of the EATC? Press the OFF and FLOOR simultaneously and then AUTOMATIC within 2 seconds. I also replaced an EATC that passed self test but I thought was bad. It was good! Another problem (fan control module, another story).
(sorry for the messy copy and paste of error codes)
DTC Reference Chart
ÚÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÂÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÂÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ¿
³ DTC ³ Description ³ Action ³
ÃÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÅÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÅÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ´
³ DTC 024 ³ Fault in the blend ³ GO to Pinpoint Test K. ³
³ ³ door calibration ³ ³
³ ³ during the self-test ³ ³
ÃÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÅÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÅÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ´
³ DTC 025 ³ Intermittent fault in ³ GO to Pinpoint Test K. ³
³ ³ the blend door ³ ³
³ ³ calibration ³ ³
³ DTC 030 ³ Self-test indicates ³ GO to Pinpoint Test U. ³
³ ³ in-car sensor shorted ³ ³
³ DTC 031 ³ Self-test indicates ³ GO to Pinpoint Test U. ³
³ ³ in-car sensor open ³ ³
³ DTC 040 ³ Self-test indicates ³ GO to Pinpoint Test S. ³
³ ³ ambient temperature ³ ³
³ ³ sensor shorted ³ ³
³ DTC 041 ³ Self-test indicates ³ GO to Pinpoint Test S. ³
³ ³ ambient temperature ³ ³
³ ³ sensor open ³ ³
³ DTC 042 ³ Ambient temperature ³ GO to Pinpoint Test S. ³
³ ³ sensor intermittent ³ ³
³ ³ short ³ ³
³ DTC 043 ³ Ambient temperature ³ GO to Pinpoint Test S. ³
³ ³ sensor intermittent ³ ³
³ ³ open ³ ³
³ DTC 050 ³ Self-test indicates ³ GO to Pinpoint Test T. ³
³ ³ sunload sensor short ³ ³
³ DTC 052 ³ Sunload sensor ³ GO to Pinpoint Test T. ³
³ ³ intermittent short ³ ³
ÀÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÃ￾ÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÃ￾ÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ

Wow, thank you, I will try that tonight.

Thanks alot for the post. I will try that tonight and let you know what happens.

I tried the self test and can not get anything to come up..... I also installed the new EATC and have the same problems. Now fan control module.....Is that something that sounds like my problem? How hard is it to get to? Any more suggestions would be nice. Thanks in advance.

A very common problem on these is a broken air blend door within the heater plenum. It is driven by a small electric actuator on top of the plenum. The shaft of the drive motor inserts vertically into a socket at the top of the blend door shaft. The sockets are plastic and commonly tend to fracture, thus making it impossible for the blend door to control the temperature of the air entering the plenum (i.e. hot from heater core or cold from outside/ac). Unfortunately, the whole plenum must be replaced to get a new blend door... does this sound familiar? The labour is really steep because the whole dash assembly has to be removed to get at the plenum. It can cost in the neighbourhood of $1,000. There is a home fix that sometimes works. To read about it go to
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24962
Good luck

Thanks, but that is not what is going on. My air/heat sometimes works when it wants to. I can hear the gears open when I switch it from dash to defrost etc.... But no air is coming out. It only blows when it wants to blow. Any other suggestions would be great....

Have you tried replacing the resistor on the fan motor?

Not yet.... How do I go about doing that? Thanks

It's on the firewall in the engine compartment. Run a search for Fan Resistor and you'll find plenty of threads about how to test it and replace if necessary.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On my 99 it was an open circuit on the blower control module mounted on the fan. It was open between connector pin and darlington transistor on the heat sink. Solder/white wire and fixed.

Back