Need HELP with strange electrical problem in my 2008 Sport Trac | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need HELP with strange electrical problem in my 2008 Sport Trac

sgoss66

Reaction score
City, State
Norman, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Sport Trac
Hi all -- first time poster, looking for some help.

I have a very strange problem going on with my 2008 4.0L V6 4WD Sport Trac Limited. Lately while driving, I am having a sporadic/intermittent problem where spontaneously while driving, some of the electrical systems will shut down -- the dome light, dashboard lights, etc. Sometimes the radio will stay on, sometimes it will shut down also. At other times, the radio stays on, but there will be a diminishing of the radio volume, as a loud screeching static sound comes from the speakers. Sometimes, everything shuts down -- including speedometer, tachometer, information center, all lights, radio, climate control system, etc. etc. The car still runs, and the headlights still work, but everything else shuts down. When this happens, things usually stay shut down for several seconds, and then everything comes back on. When this happens, the electrical system runs through the normal "checks" that happen when you first start up the vehicle (airbag, ABS, traction control icons light up for a few seconds). When the "power" returns to the system, I have not lost any of my settings -- clock time, preset radio stations, etc.

The problem seems to be getting more frequent with time, and now, over the past couple of days, I noticed that if and when the "shutdown" occurs, it is now affected by stepping on the accellerator. When one of these "events" is occurring, if I let my foot off the accellerator, things power back up; if I step on the gas, everything shuts down again. This was not the case previously (the accellerator having any effect on the issue); that has only been the case over the past few days. Before this, there was nothing I could do that would initiate, or terminate, the problem (except for shutting the car off and re-starting). I should note that the battery is fairly new, and I have had zero problems whatsoever turning the vehicle on/ignition.

This is the most bizarre thing I've ever seen, and I've hesitated to take it in to the dealership as the problem is intermittent and sporadic, and if it is not "misbehaving" at the time I take it in to the mechanic, and if they cannot reproduce the problem, I fear they may have a hard time tracking the issue down -- and thus charging me tons of labor hours just to diagnose, let alone fix, the issue. Not sure if any "codes" are being stored in the computer, or not, related to this problem.

I am not sure if I have a short somewhere, or a computer issue, or an alternator...no idea. Has anyone ever heard of such a problem, and any idea what the issue might be (and if so, if a "DIY fix" might be possible?)

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions/ideas that anyone might have regarding this issue.

Steve

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bet your ignition switch is worn out. There was a post just like this a couple months back. Shouldn't be more then a page or 2 back if you surf the old posts.

Tech --

OK, thanks...I'll go search for the post. If it IS the ignition switch, is that something that I could fairly easily replace myself? I am good with tools, but would not know where the switch is located, to replace it...

Steve

Tech by Trade --

I looked for the post, but couldn't find it. I DID find a post where a person said their dome light would sporadically come on at times, and they replaced the ignition switch. Is this the one? I couldn't find any other post that mentioned any of the specific problems I am having.

Interestingly though, my problem seemed to start the same way as described in that post -- the dome light would come on, especially if I hit a bump in the road. Now, though, it seems to have "progressed" to these more bizarre issues.

I may just buy the switch, and swap it out...it isn't that expensive, and may just fix my issue.

Steve

OK sounds good. Thanks so much for your help! The guy who made that post made a subsequent post showing how to install the switch, so if I can find one cheap, I may just take a flier on it and see if that fixes my issue.

I would be surprised if all those issues I'm having go back to the switch -- especially since it's called an "ignition" switch, suggesting it has to do with "ignition," and I haven't had any issues with "ignition!" Having said that, the "dome light coming on" issue can obviously be caused by the ignition switch...and I was having that issue, so who knows!

Anyone else have electrical issues such as mine -- more than just the dome light coming on at odd times -- that were resolved by replacing an ignition switch?

Steve

Well, I purchased an ignition switch for $30 on ebay...so we shall see if that solves my issues. Thanks again, Tech By Trade, for your advice on this.

If anyone else has any info to add or suggestions to make, please let me know.

Thanks!

Steve

Hey Tech By Trade --

Just wanted to give an update; I changed out that ignition switch, and it seems to have done the trick! Thanks so much for initially pointing me in the right direction. You saved me hundreds, I'm sure, had I taken it to the dealer for troubleshooting and repair. Instead, $30 and 10 minutes of simple labor, and I'm back in business!

Thanks!!

Steve

I too am having problems with the IGNITION SWITCH. Is it difficult to swap out????

Regards, fwaller

Thanks sgoss66, I purchased a new ign switch it was made by STANDARD. Installed it in about 15 minutes this weekend. All strange electrical problems are now gone. Thanks for the site with the photos of how to install the switch.

Regards, fwaller

fwaller -- glad to hear it solved the issues, and was a simple repair for you. Super!

Steve

I know that this post is late but maybe someone trying to find a solution to this same problem will save some time and money.

It is the ignition cylinder but I didn't replace mine. I removed it, placed a small washer inside the cylinder hole, which essentially made the cylinder a fraction of an inch longer, and reinserted the cylinder. It fit perfect, a little tighter and the problem went away.

Removing the cylinder is easy. If you dont know how, search YouTube. There are plenty of videos.

this may sound stupid but make sure you don't have heavy stuff on your key chain there is a real problem with the ignition switches on those models I have a Eddie Bauer 2008 with your engine and if I wiggle my keys while driving it becomes like a clown car the seat moves, the lights go on and off etc I can also make my vanity lights and dome lights go ona and off while the car is off by wiggling my keys in the ignition GM is not the only ones who should be sued for bad ignitions.....my wife used to have the drivers seat go completely back with no notice since she if 5 2 it was a problem because she couldn't reach the brake....try it...

Back