• Register Today It's free!

Need help with tranny issue!!!!

floyd25

Reaction score
City, State
sacramento, ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 sport
I have a 93 ex with an A4LD and about two weeks ago my tranny lost all power while I was on the free way. After I got it back home the tranny decided to work, but it would shift gears 1st to 3rd before I reached 15mph and the rpm's are around 1500 and to reach 4th i have to get the rpm's to 4000 before it shifts. My friend and I figured the tranny went out so we got a new and had it rebuilt by a ford tranny tech. We put the new tranny in today and the same problem occurred, and we are fresh out of ideas on what could cause the problem. If any one can help me out that would be great.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The tranny wasn't really rebuilt. The tech said everything was good fine it just needed a seal kit and both servos. I probably should have put that in the first post. No the valve body was not rebuilt the tech said it checked out fine.

We replaced the filter and made sure the o-rings were there,we also replaced the torque converter and made sure we fill it up with fluid before we installed it. The level of the fluid is good.

We took an air hose and blew air threw it to get all the old fluid out, there was no clog.

we also un pluged the smaler plug and that didnt help, then we pulled the computer out of my truck and it still did the same thing.

could it be anything not trans related? its kinda strange that it is doing the exact same thing on 2 diff tanys.

it seams it shifts into second by 1mph then by 15mph it is in 3rd. and wont down shift unless at a complete stop. we even cheked the kick down cable.

sounds like yours is doin the same as my truck did.. I took mine to a tranny shop and it ended up being a fuse. not sure what one but im sure if you searched you could fine ones that has to do with the trans

Found out what the issue was with my tranny it was the transfer case. The shift forks broke and it made it go into 4 low.

Back