Need Honest Advice Please | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need Honest Advice Please

mctoy

Reaction score
Hello to all!!!
I need some honest opinions on the xplorers reliability. I MUST have a reliable vehicle due to some family medical problems, and lack of cash. I am currently driving an '03 Camry w/6K on it ('Bout as reliable as you can get!) that I own outright. Only gripe is that I miss being in a truck! (6'5"-250 LBS) Been in Toyota's for a long time. I have found an '03 XLT, 4.0 2WD with only 9K on it that I can trade straight across for. Seems to be in new condition. Need something I can drive for 10+ years. I'm 40+, (So have built and repaired my fair share of cars ) and carry all basic tools with me. Is the 4.0 reliable? What about the tranny? (Had 5 '01-'02 vans at work dump thier trannies within 5K) SHOULD I TRADE, OR STICK WITH THE CAMRY? Please give me some honest opinions.
THANX :D
MCTOY

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I say trade it. Im not up to date on the new ones but I know the old ones. Mine is a 94 4.0 with 130k on it and its like brand new. I also have read threads here where guys are getting over 200k no problem. I cant see where you copuld go wrong on this trade.

Probably stick w/ toyota,or maybe a honda,, x's are great but they do see there problems w/ auto tranny's. But if u can go in anticipating that around 90-100k, you'll be on limited time, go for it, they ride great , gas miliage is not the greatest, power is good, not the best, you'll notice that right away. ( I used to work at a toyota dealer) A lot of people on here have many older used x's and they have a ton!, of miles on them but if you start to look through the threads alittle, you'll notice that they almost always have trans problems, but that's the usual gripe,! But good luck w/ your decision, If it were me, I'd stick w/ the camary, due to your personal issues, AND the reliablity of toyota given their past track record!

Wow, that didnt take long!!!
Thanks for the responses! You guy's must lead really exciting lives like me! :D I really like the truck,...It's just the reliability thing that makes it tough. I dont mind "tinkerin", in fact i love to modify/accessorize. I just cant have the vehicle leave me stranded. I had an '02 Tundra that I loved, but it had ALL the early model issues: Brakes, 02 sensor, cracked manifold etc so traded (Under duress-broken heart :( ) for the Camry. It fits me well surprisingly, is dead reliable, gets a million mpg, etc....A very tough call. Now if I can just find a 4runner owner who'll trade..... ;)
MCTOY

Sounds like that's the best of both worlds! Plus they look cool, if you dont get the one w/ the plastic all over the bottom of it!

My 98 Ranger 4.0 manual 4x4 six years, 95,000-miles, brakes, battery, alturnator, idle air control valve and regular maintenance. How much more reliable do you need?

I don't think that there are major reliability differences with most (note most) modern vehicles. I have seen the purportedly "very reliable" Honda vehicles needing major service work (usually rings and burnt valves) - Dodge/Chrysler vehicles needing transmission exchange or rebuild every 70K, etc.

The Explorers have stong motors that seeimingly will give you in excess of 200 K with proper maintenence - and with litte problems. (BTW, don't buy that notion that oil can last to 7500 + miles per change -or that ignition parts are good for 100 K -that is hogwash.) There have been some transmission issues with Explorers - primarily heat related. I would add an additional cooler, and seeing as how you like to "tinker" that is a job you could easily do and have a truck that could go for 200K of better.

On my three Ranger/Explorer vehicles, I have respectively - 1997 - 105K, 1992 - 218K, 1986 - 172K all on original motors - all needing some transmission work (all purchased used), all needing some suspension work (ball joints - shocks - wheel bearings) and all having the occasional electronic glitch or two - that doesn't stop the vehicle from runnig, but sometimes causes a headache. That isn't bad for reliability IMO.

BTW, with 205 K on the clock, I drove my 92 on a 3000+ mile round trip to Moab from Louisville, KY - wheeled it hard - and drove it home.

i got 300,000 on one of my explorers when i sold it and my other one has 250k on it neither have had a problem and one had the a4ld. i still seem my truck with 300,000 miles on it driving around....altho it had no rocker panels...damn ford

i love my truck(94 xlt) but it does get to be a headache its had 3 rebuilds and 2 replacments of the a4ld looking to change the entire tranny any suggestions? with out giving up my 4x4 ?

Do a search on explorerforum for the 700R4 swap. They seem to hold up better than the A4LD.

Or check out 410 Fortune (search) and what he has done as far as tranny cooling and protections. From what I have seen, he is head of the pack on this board and there are a couple of threads that detail his modifications.

There is always the chance that you are getting one that isn't rebuilt properly as well. Not all tranny shops are created equal. Look up the thread on rebuilding the A4LD and check it out.

Other than that, there is the manual swap - use the Mazda 5 speed - which can be purchased outright from various tranny builders - several that sell on eBay. That's a lot of work, but they can hold up pretty well.

thanks alot i thought it might of been the shop so i went to ford as well but the same problems arose so i will check out the threads on the cooling and the swap thanks again

Back