need ideas for securing Box in truck | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

need ideas for securing Box in truck

EliteConcept

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
LaPorte, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Civic LX
Hey guys putting my system in this weekend and i was wondering if any of you had a good plan on how i might secure the box in the truck so that its safe from vandals....
I was told long bolts all the way through the floor of the hatch...I am a bit weary of doing that since when i don't have the box in there will be 2 large holes that occupy the hatch area.

any kind of ideas you can spit out for me will be cool...
thanks
ryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I never found a very good answer but bolting didn't appeal to me last fall when I was wondering the same thing. So I just did the fake safe way and cut off the heads of 4 bolts and attached them them on 1/4" bars that are bolted to the bottom of the box to give the appearence that the box is bolted down but in reality isn't. This was my fake safe solution because I couldn't find any other way. Though if you really insist on bolting it but don't want the visible holes you can run 2 bars across the width and place the bolts behind the rear quarter panels. If you paint the bars matching color of the amp or whatever it can look pretty good. Sorry, I wasn't able to come up with anything better.

Here is a drawing of what I did. I think there are a couple of pictures on my hompage.

Attachments

• sub lock.jpg
    sub lock.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 184

Here is the picture from my hompage.

Attachments

• sub lock2.jpg
    sub lock2.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 185

I don't know about later models, but my '94 has 4 tie-down points in the trunk. I am putting in a system that involves a false floor, so what I am going to do is remove the tie downs, then use the existing holes from the tie-down bolts to secure a 3/4" thick piece of MDF or another type of wood to the floor, and then bolt the box and other parts of the false floor to the base piece of wood. This way, assuming you use the same width bolts as the tie downs use, you have no new holes and they can easily be replaced and return to a completely stock appearance when the box is removed or the truck is sold. Also, they are spaced far enough apart so as to provide good strength, making it difficult to rip something from them when using the existing holes. Just my $.02.

Heres it what i did, i got a huge heavy box, it weighs almost 100 lbs and with the subs its nearly 150 lbs, I park it right against another car, wall, fence, or whatever else it around, the box WILL not fit out the passenger doors i tried just to see :) it seems to work for me lol. THe box extends acrossed the whole rear hatch and is 19 inches high.

Back