Need New Tires for 02 Sport Trac - Recommendatinos Please | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need New Tires for 02 Sport Trac - Recommendatinos Please

Not true, the narrower the tire the better they'll cut through the snow but the tread pattern of an AT tire won't do what he says.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That doesn't make any sense at all. Different tread patterns have different uses. It has absolutely nothing to do with how many wheels are powered.

im running 33" duratracs in 2WD and ive put them through the snow. im not sure what your friend is epxeriencing , but my tires are 12.50" wide and they run fine through the slush. in fact, the duratracs im running are awesome in the snow! i cant wait to make it up again to the mountains this weekend. driving my trac through the treacherous terrain is almost as fun to me as the snowboarding i do up there.

Well idk if your truck is lifted or not etc, but i gotta 04 sport trac on some Firestone Destinations, They ride acceptionaly smooth on the highway even at 90mph or so, and they hold there own offroad as well.

Well idk if your truck is lifted or not etc, but i gotta 04 sport trac on some Firestone Destinations, They ride acceptionaly smooth on the highway even at 90mph or so, and they hold there own offroad as well.

no my truck is totaly stock. I don't know why, but my truck is terrible in any kind of snow. To be fair, this is the first truck (let alone RWD vehichle) I've ever owned so I only have a little bit of experience in snow with this truck, but still I think I should be able to drive down the road without fishtailing. By the way, I drive this truck like it's grandma's cadillac so don't think I'm hammering down and blaming it on the truck. If you guys put weight in your box or something that's fine, I just wanted to make dure I didn't pick a ****ty set of tires. Any tips would be great. Thanks a lot.

if you are fishtailing in a 2wd truck, i could think of a few reasons why. you could be giving too much gas going into turns, your rear tires are either in need of replacement, or are simply not good tires for snow, oh yeah. its a 2wd! not to worry, i have a 2wd as well, what iwould do is get a new set of tires that are good in the snow. may i suggest goodyear duratracs!? i feel like i work for goodyear with how much i pimp these tires, but they really are awesome.

I'd imagine your fishtailing for two main reasons. One, you're not used to rear wheel drive. Two, trucks are relatively weightless in the rear; especially STs since they have composite beds instead of metal. You're going to have to feather the pedal and just generally get used to rear wheel drive. Also, adding weight to the rear will help a lot.

Not all all terrains are good for snow. Nothing is good for ice. Your tires may very well be a big part of your problems, but not for the reasons your friend states. You would probably do well to get a set of winter tires specifically for the season that are rated for snow. As for which ones, I have no idea. I live in south Georgia. We don't get snow, just the occasional black ice.

no my truck is totaly stock. I don't know why, but my truck is terrible in any kind of snow. To be fair, this is the first truck (let alone RWD vehichle) I've ever owned so I only have a little bit of experience in snow with this truck, but still I think I should be able to drive down the road without fishtailing. By the way, I drive this truck like it's grandma's cadillac so don't think I'm hammering down and blaming it on the truck. If you guys put weight in your box or something that's fine, I just wanted to make dure I didn't pick a ****ty set of tires. Any tips would be great. Thanks a lot.

im from ontario too and duratracs def handle very well in deep snow.

where in ontario are you from?

Need New Tires

Which Yoko Geloanders do you have?

I have the Yoko Geolanders and so far so good with a new set of 4 Rancho 5000's and the ride combo has been much improved. I mainly use it on the highway and it is a 2wd.

Yoko's and Geolanders.

What series type of Yoko Geolanders do you have?

Sorry for the late response...here is a pic of the tire. I sold it a couple of weeks ago so I can't check but I think they were the A/T-S.

photo+5.png

Back