Need new transfer case - looking for the correct part # | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need new transfer case - looking for the correct part #

Explorer_PL

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Rockland County, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
06EB V8
I have been chasing the growling / grinding in my car for few weeks. I replaced all 4 bearings, still the noise is there. I put the car up on blocks and stands and had my son keep it steady at 50-60 mph while I crawled under with a stethoscope and listen to the differentials, transfer case, and tranny. I was convinced that my front diff is making the grinding noise, but to double check I stopped by a tranny shop and they put it up on the lift and listened. The verdict is my transfer case needs a rebuilt. The front bearing is shot and the driveshaft is wobbling and also it is leaking somewhere else (that I saw myself) and it is transmitting the vibration to the front diff - that's why I heard it there. The cost would be 749.99 for labor plus rebuilt kit, so I am looking at probably 1100 bucks.

Just to confirm, if anybody can, the v8 models use BW 4412 case ?

On the ford parts website mine comes up with the part # 6L2Z7A195B, that is discontinued, not sure what the new part number is.
They have different parts depending on the built date, mine is 8/05.

I am tempted to put in a used one with low miles, not sure how big of a job that is, but I also worry about getting a wrong part:

6L2Z7A195B TRANSFER CASE
EXPLORER, MOUNTAINEER; 1 SPEED TRANSFER CASE; 6 SPEED AUTO; TO 12/12/05

6L2Z7A195HB TRANSFER CASE
EXPLORER, MOUNTAINEER; 1 SPEED TRANSFER CASE; 6 SPEED AUTO; FROM 12/12/05 TO 1/30/06

7L2Z-7A195-C TRANSFER CASE
EXPLORER, MOUNTAINEER; 1 SPEED TRANSFER CASE; 6 SPEED AUTO; FROM 1/30/06

I found a used one with 27k miles for $ 225, about 100 miles from me so there are some good ones out there.

Back