Need opinions on audio upgrade.

EO

Reaction score
City, State
Cleveland, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT
Hi all,

I'm planning my audio system upgrade and would like some opinions on system design.

What I have: the Ford dual-media headunit (AM/FM/CD/Cass) w/20 watts per channel. I have NO Ford amplifier (I looked inside over the rear passenger wheel well). I already replaced the factory speakers with 60W Infinity References.

What I eventually want: better sound with a more power, more bass but not an extreme thumping system. So, I'm planning on a) replacing the headunit, b) adding an amp for the door speakers, and c) adding 1 subwoofer (with an amp).

OK, here goes:

1. I've read where some people do NOT amplify the rear door speakers via an amp, because all the main sound is up front. Wouldn't you get more sound (and protect your rear speakers from an underpowered HU) by amplifying them also?

2. Has anyone used the MTX Thunderform subwoofer? Cargo space is important to me, so this is probably my only real option. Would you recommend getting the one with the built in amp, or using a separate amp?

3. Based on #1, I'd probably get a 4 channel amp, and lean towards amplifying all 4 door speakers. But for the sub - it is better to get a 4ch + 1 amp, or use a 4ch amp with the MTX amp/subwoofer combo?

4. Finally, has anyone successfully obtained a wiring harness that fits the dual-media plug? Since I'm shelving my Ford HU, I need a wiring harness that can plug directly into the Ford connector that goes to the speakers. I assume RCAs would go from the headunit to the amp, and then (some other) wires would go from the amp to the speakers, via this harness. Speaking of...

5. Would the factory speaker wiring be sufficient for my needs?

Seems like there's many ways to go, so I want to approach this the right way. I know this is a lot of questions up front, but I've been reading this forum for some time and have accumulated many questions. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

-Erik

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by EO
Hi all,

I'm planning my audio system upgrade and would like some opinions on system design.

What I have: the Ford dual-media headunit (AM/FM/CD/Cass) w/20 watts per channel. I have NO Ford amplifier (I looked inside over the rear passenger wheel well). I already replaced the factory speakers with 60W Infinity References.

What I eventually want: better sound with a more power, more bass but not an extreme thumping system. So, I'm planning on a) replacing the headunit, b) adding an amp for the door speakers, and c) adding 1 subwoofer (with an amp).

OK, here goes:

1. I've read where some people do NOT amplify the rear door speakers via an amp, because all the main sound is up front. Wouldn't you get more sound (and protect your rear speakers from an underpowered HU) by amplifying them also?

2. Has anyone used the MTX Thunderform subwoofer? Cargo space is important to me, so this is probably my only real option. Would you recommend getting the one with the built in amp, or using a separate amp?

3. Based on #1, I'd probably get a 4 channel amp, and lean towards amplifying all 4 door speakers. But for the sub - it is better to get a 4ch + 1 amp, or use a 4ch amp with the MTX amp/subwoofer combo?

4. Finally, has anyone successfully obtained a wiring harness that fits the dual-media plug? Since I'm shelving my Ford HU, I need a wiring harness that can plug directly into the Ford connector that goes to the speakers. I assume RCAs would go from the headunit to the amp, and then (some other) wires would go from the amp to the speakers, via this harness. Speaking of...

5. Would the factory speaker wiring be sufficient for my needs?

Seems like there's many ways to go, so I want to approach this the right way. I know this is a lot of questions up front, but I've been reading this forum for some time and have accumulated many questions. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

-Erik

1)Okay, first I don't think you need to get an amp for your door speakers. Just get a good quality head unit. Like a Pioneer or an Alpine.
2)I haven't personally heard the MTX subs. I have heard Kicker and JL Audio. These two companies provide very high quality subs. You might want to measure but I think you might be able to fit a 10" sub under your back seat.
3)I don't know about the wiring harness for your radio. Try Best Buy, Circuit City or Sound Waves. They will be able to hook you up.
4)Your factory wire will be fine even if you decide to add the amp for the door speakers.
I hope I helped a little with your new sound system. Good luck!!! Brian

Here we go...

1. If you are worried about underpowering your speakers then I would run an amp to all 4 speakers. The only way you would damage your speakers by underpowering them is if the HU amp were to clip. Clipping occurs on headunits usually around the last 25% of the volume range. (My pioneer clips with the volume at 24 with 30 being max). Unless you plan on having your volume very loud don't worry about underpowering, although put a good amp on those infinity speakers and the sound quality will improve so much you'll think you are listening to a totally new speaker.

2. Many people on this board have the MTX thunderform. I would recommend the one with the built it amp. This will save you space and wiring troubles. Also the amp is specially designed for the sub in the MTX thunderform. Also MTX amps are awesome.

3. You could get a 2 channel amp or a 4 channel amp. The 2 channel amp would power all 4 speakers at 2ohms (increasing power and volume, as well as heat). 2 channel amps are cheaper than a 4 channel. So you could get a better quality 2 channel amp for the price of a lower quality 4 channel amp. 4 + 1 channel amps are usually huge and expensive. Go with the amplified Thunderform.

4. Don't know much about the stock Explorer audio system sorry.

5. It depends on how much power you are gonna send to the speakers. I would go with a 14 ga. speaker wire if you plan on 60w per speaker.

Any questions? Just reply!

Steve

Thanks so far! I am leaning towards a 4 channel amp with the amplified MTX Thunderform <--- that really does make the package nice and convenient. Now on to decide which amp and HU (leaning towards a Pioneer CD/tuner), but at least I have a high-level idea on what to do.

Can I Add something?

the WORST thing that you can do to a speaker is under power it.

Hate to disagree with people I don't know, but I would choose the MTX Thunderform without the pre-installed amp. With the non-amped versions, you get a Thunder 6000 10" sub. The amped versions have a sub "specially designed" for the enclosure and amp. General rule is that seperates are better than not. The install really isn't that much more difficult.

For me to do separates, I'd plan on using a 4+1 amp to power the subwoofer, which doesn't add complexity to the install - I still have 1 amp and 1 subwoofer enclosure to install.

Or, are you thinking a separate physical amp for the subwoofer?

Would the overall difference in sound be significant?

Stereo setup

OK here is what I would do.

First---find a good Head Unit...I personally like Panasonics new Line. I have the model 150 and have never had any problems. Oh and make sure the head unit has an independant sub control...this is key to SQ.

Second---a 5 channel amp is excellent if you want a real nice sounding system thats not too punchy. Usually you can find them in a 50X4 and 100X1. You should have no problem with these kind of amps.

Third---As far as the sub designed for your ride...I wouldn't get it. It is a space saver so if thats what your looking for go for it. Personally I would go with a nice tight sub in a small box...I am partial to JL Audio and the 8000 series MTX. You will enjoy the bass more if the box is sitting in the middle of the cargo area.

Good luck and If you want some good deals on Car Audio go to http://www.ikesound.com. I found this guy on the net and he gives sweet deals and will sometimes pay for shipping if the order is high enough$$$. Any question just let me know.

Justin Miller
Lansing, MI

Just so you know you will not hurt those speakers by underpowering them. They will sounds like crap with a new HU because the signal will be full and so they will get bass too, not just highs, but the headunit won't produce enough power, even when clipped to hurt 60w speakers. The most a clip signal can usually put out is less than twice the amount of the amp, in the case of most head units this is less than 25 watts RMS per channel, so there is very little danger of hurting your speakers. I seriously recommend an amp anyway, this will make the biggest improvement in your sq and volume in your system. Hope this helps. BTW: You can get a 4 channel amp that will easily run all 4 speakers and a sub, that way you don't have to worry about wiring two amps or expensive 4+1 channel amps. The only disadvantage is that you will lose you fade, but I don't even use mine. For a beginner system it will be fine.

Thanks all. I have some good ideas now & things to think about. This forum has really helped, and I look forward to more discussions!

Back