need overhead console guru

Reaction score
City, State
montreal
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 ST XLT 4x4
i just installed a overhead console in my 05 sport trac 4x4 xlt
no harness was found between sunvisor after i removed headliner
(i tought it would have been already wired at factory but it look like they went the cheap way lol )
console = the basic one no sunroof, just compass and outside temp

sometime everything is fine and work properly
but ...
the problem is that most of the time when i open the door my two dome light turn on but the console light and data screen stay off and when i close the door my two dome light wont turn off as they should
and if i push the map light buttons on the console my front dome light turn brighter....

my front and rear dome light as been converted to led bulb...
but my console still oem filament bulb so far (maybe that can help you solve my problem)

here's how i wire all this stuff using oem connector plug from the console

black = ground : metal screw to roof sheet metal

red/blue = dimmer signal : splice to my ashtray light (this part working good)

blue/yellow & blue/white = temp sensor : run wire to front of the truck hook to temp sensor (this part also working good)

black/blue = detect door opening : splice it to my front dome light black/blue wire

green/orange = power to console map light : splice it to my front dome light green/orange wire (maybe i should hook it up to both dome light instead of only the front one ????)

grey/back = vehicule speed sensor : didnt hook it up at all

yellow/gray = main power : splice it to the the yellow/gray wire that go in the fuse box left side of the dash bottom of the A pillar

iam pretty confident that all my wire are solder correctly and i use heat shrink tube to isolate, so it must be a bad connection wire or bad ground wire

iam not an electrical genius so i need help with this one :)

thanks alot guys

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the interior lights are on a timer, so the turn off after a bit
the console/data screen should stay off until the truck starts

now if the problem is in key on/ run position maybe there's a problem.

the interior lights are on a timer, so the turn off after a bit
the console/data screen should stay off until the truck starts

now if the problem is in key on/ run position maybe there's a problem.

haha lol

that part i already check, yes the key are on even if the truck is started the dome stay on, even if i completly roll down the dimmer swith wich normally should close the dome light, and they stay on ....

but i think i figure it out, iam pretty confident that my console ground is the culprit now just need to remove that headliner again to confirm youhou !!!

Back