Need PATS help, only 1 key | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need PATS help, only 1 key

David1985

Reaction score
First, I have a 99 Explorer, Eddie Bauer Eddition. Last weekend I replaced a cracked EGR tube with a new tube. After the replacement, I started the explorer up and parked it on the curb. About an hour later I go to drive it and I can't get the engine to start. I cranks but wont start. I now notice that the red "theft" light flashes rapidly when i try to start it.

This leads me to believe it is a PATS issue. I bought the explorer for $500 and was only given 1 PATS key, which has worked fine up to this point. I don't really wont to dump much money into this fix. I would prefer to permanently disable the PATS, but everything I have read says you need a tuner to do that costing 3 to 4 hundred $. If anyone knows an alternative way, please let me know.

I have also read the trick about taping a key to the ignition. However, the 1 key i have isn't currently working. Is my only option at this point to call a locksmith or go to the dealer? If so, can I just buy a news PATS key and have them reprogram it or can the reprogram my current key?

Any advice would be appreciated. I just really need to get it started so that i can move it. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pull the battery for 30 minutes and check the fuses. Also go over the wiring in the engine bay. You may have knocked a ground or something loose.

PATS is definitely not recognizing the key. You should always keep two.

I just got done pulling the batter cables for about a day. After hooking them back up, it's still the same. It will crank but wont start and the "theft" light flashes rapidly.

Wish I had 2 keys but i didn't even think this kind of issue would ever come up.

Apparently no one else has any additional insight, so I will continue to update with the hopes of helping someone else out that may encounter the same problem. For the record, i did some checking and the battery is VERY weak and is barely holding a charge. I plan to replace it. I have also ordered an additional PATS key from EBAY. I plan to get it cut. After I replace the battery and get another key cut, I 'm going to take the explorer to the dealer to reprogram it. Hopefully all goes well.

Good luck. Make sure to check the fuses/wiring to the key area if the new battery doesn't fix the issue.

Do yourself a favor and pick up a third key. If you have two existing keys you can program the third yourself and always have a spare.

Welcome David. The PATS module will accept any keys until it has two recorded, then it requires at least two recorded keys to add any more, up to eight. If you don't have two, or any that work, only the special diagnostic Ford tool can erase the PATS key codes. That's when you have to see a dealer, for that special tool.

They will erase the codes. Then the PATS module will accept any coded PATS key, and the next.

I suggest carefully inspecting the area at the PATS key receiver, located under the key cylinder. There is a single wire there which may be disconnected or damaged. The code is sent by that wire to the PATS module. The plastic column cover covers the key cylinder.

Insert the good PATS key in the ignition and turn it to ON. If the THEFT light flashes, stop anything and turn the ignition OFF. Only when the THEFT light doesn't flash will the engine start. So turn the key on and off until the THEFT light doesn't flash, then start the engine. Good luck,

Thank you so much for the help. I will take a closer look at the receiver and look for a damaged wire. I hope to avoid a trip to the dealer, but if everything checks out that will be my only option.

Here's the latest update. I called the dealer and they told me that they could reprogram the keys for $50, not so bad. I had a buddy help me tow the explorer to the dealer and had them look at it. Apparently, the single key that I received when i bought the explorer would not hold programming. The extra PATS key that I had copied would program, but the dealer still had to make me another key as they need 2 working keys in order to program it. All in all, the dealer charged me $103 for the programming and a new key. Words of advice, if you think you need 1 key, buy 2. If you need 2 keys, buy 3.

$100 isn't terrible, but i would have rather paid another $12 for a cut PATS myself than pay the dealer another $50. Lesson learned i guess. Anyway, after a new key and programming it starts up just fine.

The keys are not programmed devices. Only the PATS module is programmed. The keys each have a unique code in them, a permanent code.

The dealer programs the PATS module with the different key codes. If you had a "bad" key, it was about the key not producing a code that the PATS module would learn.

Back